Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

From the top; here's what happened. I have an 02 T/A with a stroked LS2, heads, cam,the works. Ran it during the winter without a thermostat and notices a lot of oil consumption and performance loss. I installed a thermostat and it still burned a lot of oil and hesitated a lot at WOT, then one day it started having problems starting, like it was missing for a few seconds then would fire up. It got progressively worse and eventually started backfiring and wanting to stall and the idle would climb to 2K then drop to 500with backfiring every few seconds. It was also throwing the insufficient switching code. I parked it for a while until a guy I met hooked his laptop to it and noticed the right bank was running way rich but the left was fine. then we checked the plugs, they were seriously blackened. Changed the plugs and O2 sensors and the SES went away but it stills idles a bit rough, then the idle raises to 1300 rpms then the car backfires and the idle drops to 500 rpm and below. then raises,, bakfires and drops again and so on. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check and clean you IAC and MAF.do a compression or leak down test on the right bank,I feel you mite have washed down those cylinders running that rich.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Cool. Will do tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a tune in the time of year you will be using the car. From a qualified shop that has LSX tuning exp. Also make sure your car is running mechanically fine. So new wires/plugs/filters/fluids so on and so forth.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Okay. I did swap the plugs with NGK 4177, fluids have been replaced and have MSD wires. I drove it to work this morning and at first the clutch was making so much noise, I couldn't tell anything else. The clutch calmed down and the car drove and ran smoother the longer I drove it. while in neutral it would rev up to around 2K then slowly fall back down to around 900 rpm. then a few backfires.. Do you think the computer is trying to re-time itself or something like that and causing the idle and backfire?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Has the car had ANY tune adjustment for the PCM!?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Yeah, in the beginning, I had it dyno and tuned. Later on this guy out in Arizona NickD tuned it for taller tires. At the time the IAC was shot and he tuned the car to basically not stall. I think he adjusted the idle and cracker. Then I replaced the IAC a few months later.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Go get it redone. Basically as long as there are no leaks, the PCM is need re-adjustment. You could unhook the battery and see if it goes back to "re-learn" and may get better for a short time.

Long story made short, retune.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Okay just fired it up and it never idled above 1K but ran very rough. like it's missing but I changed the plugs yesterday. It really sounds like half the engine is working. As it warmed up the idle started to slowly get steady, then backfire and the idle drops and stumbles for about 10-15 sec, then the cycle starts over again.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Internet Mechanic

Personally I would post this in the General Mat. Section and the PCM tuning section. As more people will see this and chime in. IMO you need a re tune.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Oh great. I barely figured out the newbie section. hahaha I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle