New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 2000 TA. 35000miles. NEED MODS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 2000 TA. 35000miles. NEED MODS!

Im looking to put some mods on my car! Any suggestions?? I have a catback magnaflow on now, not really happy with the sound. Need suggestions about intake, headers, X/Y Pipe, mild cam, etc. Let me know your thoughts, Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS-6 Intake,Pacesetter Coated Headers w/ Off Road Y-Pipe,SLP Underdrive pulley,P&P TB,Dyno Tune,Stall Converter if its a Auto,Suspension !!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS6 intake is best bang for the buck for most set ups and can be had for cheap $$$.
I run Dynatech headers with their Catted Y on a Corsa and very happy with the set up and with a cam still has a great sound.

Sound changes in a MAJOR way when you tune the car and add a cam so becareful when deciding. Not a huge Fan of ORY so take it from there.

U/D pulleys should be done same time as cam so no need to do work x2. P&P TB are good for a few HP but leave to a professional so look for sponsors here. Dynotune should be done once the headers are on. But especially when installing a cam so plan your budget.

If you have not, get a Lid and plan on a gearing change depending on Auto/Manual and either a matched stall/upgraded clutch.

A note on the tune.

My car is a 2002. With a LID only made 324 RWHP. On a M6/10 bolt driveline

Added Headers, Catted Y, Corsa, 12 bolt and 3" steel DS.

Made 325 RWHP and pulling timing. Not good.

Added Dynotune made 355 RWHP and much better throttle response.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pretty much every post here will have the same few things in common, headers and a lid being the most common. yes definitly get a lid its the beginners mod and should be the first. from there id continue on by getting a p/p and bigger TB , upgrade your intake manifold to match with an ls6 or if your rich get a FAST 92. from there go south and get headers ( BBK for best clearance and ease of installation, Pacesetter for the money, either are good tho i prefer the bbk cuz fro the same price of a good set of pacesetters you can get the bbk chrome headers and y pipe included.) then either get an electric cutout for when you want to be loud and sound mean ro replace your catback with a loudmouth so your loud all the time. as far as cam thunder racing has some nice cam packages id get a mild cam so you gain power but dont lose too much drivablilty or gas mileage. definitly get an ls2 timing chain and new valve springs if you get any cam. suspension will be a must, lower control arms and subframe connectors, if want the extra get a sway bar/torque arm and strut tower brace. a mild stall converter if you get a cam for your transmission. 3200 is good. again if youve got money get better heads too to match your cams strength and weaknesses. and then wrap it all up with a tune. after all that you will have one mean ride trust me. dont forget the free mods too they all add up
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i recommend KOOK or ARH headers but they arent cheap.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Pacesetters are good headers for the money, but keep in mind that the off-road Y-pipe will be very loud.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Teching In

OK I'm new so don't harass me too bad for asking but the acronym lid, what is it? If I have a manual how does it affect me?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

The big black box sitting in front on top of the radiator.

They can be had for around 60-70 bucks used. Cleans up the engine bay and is proven performance gain. Manual or auto is irrelevant.

Budget? Daily driver? Most power from each mod? Give us some info on what you want for the car.

Bolt ons are pretty much what you are looking at.

full exhaust
ls6 intake
lid
Cutout
Underdrive pulley

BTW... someone posted about a strut tower bar. It is an appearance mods that adds weight to your car, nothing more.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stock
https://www.dragtimes.com/images-cla...0683442826.jpg

Aftermarket slp.. all lids are the same, one brand isn't better than the other. Gt which one you like. I have a carbon fiber.. some like clear, some like slp, etc etc..
http://image.gmhightechperformance.c..._in_engine.jpg
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

I just ordered the slp full kit and the mass air sensor from slp. I changed the fuel filter and the oil and filter today. I used one quart of lucas and the rest 5w 30 full syn mobile.my car has 26,000 miles. I like you lemon your a night owl like me! lol
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by omega13
I just ordered the slp full kit and the mass air sensor from slp. I changed the fuel filter and the oil and filter today. I used one quart of lucas and the rest 5w 30 full syn mobile.my car has 26,000 miles. I like you lemon your a night owl like me! lol
Link to what you bought...

I'm usually in bed by 11 or so but Im extremely sick right now so haven't worked and sleep is messed up. When a didn't have to be at work at 615-430 Mon-Fri I would be on here at all hours, usually late since it was when most of my free time happened.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Teching In

http://www.lmperformance.com/79093/1.html
http://www.lmperformance.com/79080/1.html
I bought them from two different ebay vendors. They were about 50 dollars cheaper.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not trying to rain on your parade... but..

Stock maf is good up until around 500-550rwhp, after that is when it starts to become a restriction. Besides a stock tb is only 78mm.
The lid was a good buy.
I despise smooth bellows and have seen little to no proof that they give any HP gains over stock. I guess I could see it giving a bit nicer throttle response, still a stretch.
The ram air that comes with it is decent but the chrs1313 setup is much nicer and the Improvments are nice even over that kit.

I won't recommend that kit to anyone.. Kind of a rip off if you ask me. I'm not doing it to get you down.. just letting you know what else is out there and what does/doesn't need to be upgraded right mow for the next go around or if you can reverse the purchase.
BTW, you know a tune will be needed for a new maf, right?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Teching In

I was going with slp because their stuff was dealer options. As for the maf dammit no I didn't. What is the best way of handling a tune at this point?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was going with slp because their stuff was dealer options. As for the maf dammit no I didn't. What is the best way of handling a tune at this point?
A lot of people buy slp for that reason. Honestly except for the lid there Isnt much I would buy from them. Their old header design was junk.. most of their stuff Is way over priced because of the name.

I would get a mail order tune from frost.. He is good and a reasonable price.
Are you manual or auto? It sucks to get a tune now cause you don't have much of amything done, almost a waste. I would either wait until you get headers to install the maf then get a tune.. or sell the maf and put that money elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Teching In

I asked for a refund, we'll see how that goes. EEK. As for the chris thing. Is that the one that needs the ac removed? If it is I can't do that I need ac.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I asked for a refund, we'll see how that goes. EEK. As for the chris thing. Is that the one that needs the ac removed? If it is I can't do that I need ac.
You can order one style for ac delete and one style if you have ac.
The one that is made for ac has a tad bit lower gains but Is still better than any of the others out there.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Teching In

This speed inc place that handles this stuff is right by me I should go check them out.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep coulda bought a used lid for less then 100 and accomplished what you did by spending $450 on SLP ****. Live and learn though.....listen to the advice of some of the experienced guys like Lemons, he will point you in the right direction.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

This speed inc place that handles this stuff is right by me I should go check them out.
Lol you are right around some of the stock cube big dogs.. Speed inc builds some nice cars.
If speed inc is close, I would use them for everything. They will steer you In the right direction and they are an a+ shop.
You have a lot of people in your area that know a lot. I would get in touch with them.. If nothing else help with Installs or pay them to do it. They all have good experience and plenty of knowledge to get you to accomplish whatever your plans with the car. Make some friends!
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yep coulda bought a used lid for less then 100 and accomplished what you did by spending $450 on SLP ****. Live and learn though.....listen to the advice of some of the experienced guys like Lemons, he will point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the words my man.. You as well!