Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: WILWAXU....exhaust related question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Question Attn: WILWAXU....exhaust related question...

WILWAXU, not too long ago you mentioned in a post that you can get rid of that high pitched rattling/vibrating that seems to come from around the O2 sensors by taping up the sleeve-ring with some aluminum tape. Well, I had my car in the exhaust shop today getting some welding done, and I thought it'd be a good time to address that O2 vibrating issue. So I wrapped up those rings with the aluminum tape, and it seems to have made a decent difference. The sound is still there some, but only about half as much.

Now my question....I was wondering if that aluminum tape ever needs to be replaced? Will it eventually fall off or burn through? Have you had any issues using it yourself? This car doesn't see rain or any bad weather, so I'm not really worried about water exposure or anything, just the heat and age getting to it. Thanks for your help
Old 02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use some of that red high temp rtv. That's what I did and I haven't had a problem. Quited those O-2 sensor rings right down.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I used black electrical tape on mine.

Yeah.. even wrapped they still make a little noise..

Good to here it worked for you!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I guess the aluminum tape should be fine then if electrical tape is doing the trick as well.

As for the RTV, my concern with that is, if I need to remove the sensor it would be harder to break the seal on that then to just remove some tape I would think...