Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 DOD issue?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 DOD issue?

I have a stroked LS2 and have a problem of oil filling my Moroso catch can everytime I nail-it all the way to redline; it has done that since day one. The valley is tapped to vent inside the baffle and then routed to catch can.

I did a compression test twice and leak-down test twice, passed both times.

The valley plate was pulled and could only find 7 o-rings, unable to find 8th o-ring.
If in fact the 8th 0-ring was indeed missing, could this be the cause of my oiling issue?? Would the absence of the o-ring flood the valley w/ oil during high RPM's and get carried out to my catch can??

Please Advise
Rick
Attached Thumbnails LS2 DOD issue?-p5201584.jpg   LS2 DOD issue?-p5201591.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

While you have the valley cover off drill, tap and plug those holes since you're not using them. That's an easy and inexpensive way to find out. How about oil pressure? There have been tons of people with oil pressure problems due to those o rings not sealing or coming up missing like yours.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Teching In

While you have the valley cover off drill, tap and plug those holes since you're not using them. That's an easy and inexpensive way to find out. How about oil pressure?
How can I drill and tapp without getting metal in engine; not about to disassemble engine.

Oil pressure mostly ok, pressure dipps momentarily and alarms my Racepak everytime I open-up the throttle. I am of the opinion that the oil pressure is at least 10 psi low across the board; I'll know soon enough, waiting on O-rings.

The big question is, Would a missing O-ring cause my oiling problem??
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it will cause a oiling problem, the port that the o ring covers goes straight to the lifter galley, its most likely spraying oil all over the valley cover and the vent is picking it up, You must have all the o rings on ,and you should also see a rise in oil pressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 DOD issue?