Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E36 LSx street legal swappers..need copy of your documents...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW E36 LSx street legal swappers..need copy of your documents...

I have to write a feasibility study on upgrading the LSx engine (according to instructions The Vehicle Center of Croatia (CVH)) in the my E36 in order to obtain legislative approval for the project and that I can register vehicle and get licence plate.
One of the items that would really help is if someone of you who has a street legal LSX e36 sends me picture of vehicle registration document. That would be proof to me that lsx e36 swap project is accepted worldwide. Of course, anyone who sends me a document may remove name and other personal information from document. You can write me what technical tests the vehicle must meet to receive licence plate in your country. Contact on pp.

many thanks

example croatian papers:

CVH
http://www.cvh.hr/english/company-profile.aspx
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

anyone with road legal lsx swap in e36?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

You may want to check out GM Performance's LS3 Conversion kit for older vehicles. GM teamed up with CARB (California Air Resources Board) and has created an emissions legal V8 retro-fit kit for the state of California and any other state that follows CA Emissions standards.

Hot Rod Magazine did a TV show and alot of the Car magazine covered this conversion kit in their magazines. I am quite sure if it is legal for the State of California, it will be legal world wide. That is probably your best bet.

I would say most conversions here are done in states that do not test emissions or they done to vehicles that are considered "off road" and not subject to emissions, or if a vehicle is old enough it isn't required to be tested. It all depends on the state you live in here in the US. There are not any nationwide standards unless it is a new vehicle.

Here is a link to the Super Chevy article.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/t...v8_engine.html
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

yes, I look at this article but this e-rod kit I cant install in bmw e36 (no space) and I want close to 500hp. And emission is not problem for me, I will pass it. I want to know if parts from swap kits can pass inspection around the world. If this swap kits (vorshlag, samberg, jtr, nash8503) are legal in USA, UK etc I can fight with stupid law here in Croatia.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry man, it is illegal here also. The DOT set guidelines regarding engine swaps and here are the basics:
1. The engine being installed MUST have been an available option for the chassis.
2. The engine must be the same year of the chassis or newer and all emissions equipment must be in place and operational.
3. You cannot install industrial or higher weight class engines into a passenger vehicle chassis. Example, a Cummins 6BT diesel (6 cylinder) can be swapped into a 2500 Dodge Ram since it was possible to order one this way as original equipment, however you cannot swap a Cummins 4BT diesel b/c it is listed as a heavy truck motor. Same engine only with 2 cylinders lopped off.

The only reason some people are able to get away with these types of swaps is b/c some states do not have emissions or safety inspections. The DOT standards apply but nobody checks.

Try Canada, I hear anything goes up there. lol

Quick Reply: BMW E36 LSx street legal swappers..need copy of your documents...