Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1/ t56 hydraulic clutch engagement issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LS1/ t56 hydraulic clutch engagement issues

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT I REALLY NEED HELP!!
Hey everyone i have a serious intermittent clutch engagement problem. let me start from the top....i was on the highway going at it with a syclone pickup truck, i was in the top of third gear about to shift into 4th, put the clutch pedal down and it would'nt shift into 4th or any gear for that matter,i wasn't over revving it before this happened. i stopped and the car stalled, i knew immediately this was a hydraulic matter since the pedal was extremely stiff and the clutch was not engaging at all....with the car off i put it in 4th gear and started it, and drove home slowly.
I looked at forums and decided to drop the tranny to replace the slave, at the same time i replaced the slave with a new GM unit i also installed a spec slave spacer behind the slave for better engagement. i bled the entire system after reinstalling everything correctly and the car drove great....until later that night the same thing happened again, stiff hard pedal and no engagement/disengagement. WTH!!
went to autozone and bought a duralast OEM style master cylinder since it seemed the old one was a little wet near the shaft by the pedal, and did the drill mod to the end of the line and flushed it all out. bled the entire system again like 8 times and the car once again drove great, great shifting, engagement/disengagement for the entire day. next day started the car and guess what? no gears. I know i am bleeding this system correctly because these hydraulic systems are sensitive and if it wasn't bled correctly you couldn't even drive the thing.
the only thing i have left is get a new hydraulic line since i am still using the original one, but could this thing be drawing air in somehow? the bleeder is closed tight after i bleed this system but somehow it manages to screw me over and over. PLEASE HELP MEEE!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

is anyone out there? i replaced the line from the master cyl. to the trans and bled it numerous times again. finally i got it to fully work. pedal feels great like a new car, engagement/disengagement worked fine. test drove around for about 20 mins. parked the car and the next day started her up and nothing.....no gears. back to the same bullshit. could my master slave be too weak to push the clutch in? i also noticed that there is play in the quick connect fitting on the slave/trans side. i know the whole thing isnt loose because the bleeder part is firm. could my slave have taken a dump internally, its a brand new unit from gm.

i really hate this hydraulic crap, you buy a manual trans car for the fun not for this crap.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock clutch?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

its an aftermarket dual friction one i was told by the previous owner but he didnt know what brand it was. it's gray colored. i just got a mighty vac pump and bled some air out thru the resevoir while a buddy pumped the pedal. once i started the car it went into the gears 1-R. 2 mins later, it stopped working again.....bled it some more and it worked again. drove it for about 5 mins and it was intermittently failing on me.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

should i get a tick master cyl.? i'd hate to spend 300 bucks and the problem persists.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere in the hydraulics that's relieving the pressure.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Its gotta be that, I just don't know if its the master cyl. Or the slave, I read about other people that have master cyl. Problems and they have stuck pedals, or the pedal drops to the floor. My pedal will feel great when its bled good, then about 10 hrs later its firmer, makes a slight click noise like its internally binding inside the cylinder. I guess the whole system has to work harder to push the clutch I have in the car so something failed.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 PM

I have a similar problem! When I first bought my 01 SS, it drove fine for a while (couple weeks) and I did a check up on my fluids and notice my master cylinder was BONE DRY! I check because my transmission started doing what yours is doing. So I went over to Autozone and filled my master cylinder and just went from there. But it hasn't made really a difference because it still has the same symptoms as what you're having. I'm annoyed too because I can't race without my transmission locking up. Like I'll be driving and if I'm lucky when depressing the clutch pedal, it'll go into the next gear, when I'm not lucky, it'll like jam and won't come out of neutral! It's like **** I don't want to spend a lot of cash fixing what's not broken ya know? I'm still learning about cars so bare with me
Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

May be the clutch can you see the condition of it?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Clutch disk?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pabbi's SS01
I have a similar problem! When I first bought my 01 SS, it drove fine for a while (couple weeks) and I did a check up on my fluids and notice my master cylinder was BONE DRY! I check because my transmission started doing what yours is doing. So I went over to Autozone and filled my master cylinder and just went from there. But it hasn't made really a difference because it still has the same symptoms as what you're having. I'm annoyed too because I can't race without my transmission locking up. Like I'll be driving and if I'm lucky when depressing the clutch pedal, it'll go into the next gear, when I'm not lucky, it'll like jam and won't come out of neutral! It's like **** I don't want to spend a lot of cash fixing what's not broken ya know? I'm still learning about cars so bare with me
i haven't taken the clutch off to see the condition of it, but when i took the trans down to replace the slave i took a look at the fingers and the pilot bushing, every thing looked fine. since it is an aftermarket one (dont know what brand) maybe it was over torqued. but its not a clutch problem im having, theres no slippage, no dragging, no pedal sticking. Its almost as if the slave isnt getting enough fluid because the stock master cyl. sucks or the slave cyl. has a leak internally....it is made in mexico.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM

lol yeah anything not made in USA tends to do that lol. But same here, it feels like i have air in the lines or something because when i shift, it goes into gear very difficultly like im depressing the clutch only half ways or something! I dont like my transmission half assing. its the only thing wrong with my car. so thats why this is annoying.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM

If you bled the lines a 100 times and you're still having this problem, do you think it could be the pressure plate? or pushout bearing?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Teching In

i really think its just a hydraulic problem, the last thing i wanna do is pull down the trans again. I am planning on upgrading to 243 heads, a cam, and an sts turbo kit so being that i will have more power spending the 300 for the tick master isn't a waste. i wish i new what kind of clutch was in the car but the previous owner bought it like that and he never drove the car. since I've had the car i put 560 miles on it in under 2months and didn't have the slightest problem shifting ever, then all of a sudden it failed. i also wanted to drill a 3/8th hole in the bellhousing to stick one of those flexible cameras in it just to see what my slave is doing when i depress the clutch pedal. and this is the only thing wrong with my car also thats why im pissed.

Quick Reply: LS1/ t56 hydraulic clutch engagement issues