PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steps for adjusting E85?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steps for adjusting E85?

Anybody have a good step by step on adjusting a tune to E85. What I have seen is the following

Convert stoich to 9.7 and your Ve table should adjust properly if it was tuned correctly before.

Or you can keep stoich 14.7 and just Tune like it was normal gas but add 30% to Ve and 35% to Ve under boost.

Also the obvious add a few degrees of timing to the total map.

Also would be a good idea to add 15% to the crank Ve.

Anything else that needs to be done to get a base E85 tune or maybe someone could share their e85 tune?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

im also in the works of switching over to e85 and im really curious as well, from what ive read, those are some great basics to adjust. subscribing...
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by THENASCAR
im also in the works of switching over to e85 and im really curious as well, from what ive read, those are some great basics to adjust. subscribing...
I guess me and you both are waiting on someone with some knowledge to step in and give us some tips!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

I personally wouldn't do it unless you're 100% sure you're actually getting e85. Here in Michigan, there's only one or two months out of the year where we get true e85. The rest of the year, the gasoline content actually rises and we can get as low as e70 IIRC due to the weather. I think AZ is one of the few states that actually gets e85 the entire year round. If you're in a place that has variance, you'd essentially have to test the fuel every time you fill up the tank, figure out the ethanol content, and adjust your tune accordingly. The flex fuel cars sold today have sensors that do this, which automatically adjusts a scaler in the tune (like the aspark scaler works between the high & low octane spark maps in our tunes).

IF you want to keep moving forward with the switch and you have enough injector to support the swap, then I think you've covered most of what you need to change. A WBO2 that can report lambda will be a very important tool to making sure the tune is correct. I would also adjust your scanner so that it reports lambda as well. That way, you can focus on stoich as 1.0 and PE as something like ~0.87 for NA applications or ~0.81 for boosted applications so that you're dealing with consistent numbers instead of AFRs that change based on the type of fuel.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Search this Thread