Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to build.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Newbie looking to build.

hello, I've been reading around this forum for the past few days and it looks like I have found the right place to learn about LS1's.

I'm planning to buy a used LS1 engine and do a rebuild with the engine out of the car. The engine will go in my "test mule" suburban for a little while, along with a new tranny. After this I'm planning on putting the engine in a small car - Miata, 240SX... but that is down the road.

I want the engine to be reliable and "daily driveable". I do not plan on doing nitrous or FI.

First, I'm looking for suggestions on how I should build the engine with a $2k budget, I will do all the work. This money is for engine upgrades only, not trans, exhaust, drivetrain, etc. I'm not planning on racing the test mule so these are not a concern at this stage. Tuning costs will also be extra once I get the engine installed.

I'm thinking my first mods would be cam, intake, and ignition. After that I'm not sure...

Should I do aftermarket heads, or is there a set of OEM heads out there that would suit my needs?

I realize there is no "best", I'm just looking for specific examples of what people have done in the past with good results.

Thanks for any help or direction!!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the holy grail and best HP gaining mod of the ls1 engine is the cam, anyone who knows a thing or too about these engines will tell you that. select the right cam to suit your needs and id get aftermarket heads to match your cams strength/weakness. with a cam swap you will definitly need new valve springs and id say screw it doing a rebuild get new seats, lifters, and retainiers too. get an ls2 timing chain the stock one on the ls1 tends to break after cam swaps. most of your money should be spent here in the cam swap and heads. far as the rest goes an ls6 intake or FAST intake and a p/p TB with a lid and there you go
Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
the holy grail and best HP gaining mod of the ls1 engine is the cam, anyone who knows a thing or too about these engines will tell you that. select the right cam to suit your needs and id get aftermarket heads to match your cams strength/weakness. with a cam swap you will definitly need new valve springs and id say screw it doing a rebuild get new seats, lifters, and retainiers too. get an ls2 timing chain the stock one on the ls1 tends to break after cam swaps. most of your money should be spent here in the cam swap and heads. far as the rest goes an ls6 intake or FAST intake and a p/p TB with a lid and there you go
Thanks for the suggestion on the Chain and Intake, do you have specific recommendations for the Cam and Heads? Can both those be done effectively for $2k, or would that not cover the heads? If not, can the factory heads be modified to increase performance?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan on refreshing the bottom end ? Main and rod bearings, cylinder hone, new rings, cam bearing, lifters, ect. Because a H/C set up alone will take all of your 2k budget.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I would go heads and cam, as far as what would be the best for your application, I have used Texas speed for my cam and parts, and they can pick out a cam for you that would work with what you want to get for results and how much you want to spend. I would definitely replace the lifters at least check the bottom end since you have the engine out of the car. You can pm Texas speed on this forum, he will set you up with whatever you want.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what you need to do to the engine depends on the mileage of the engine.get a ls2 ,6.0, if you can.they have more cubes and better heads(799).some 243/799 heads can make great power for $400 .picking the right cam depends on alot of things,don't over cam it .thunder racing and TSP have cam kits for a good price.you can install kaltek rod bolts with out resizing the rods.ls1howto.com will help with some of your work.