Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

swapping from fixed to power antenna

Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swapping from fixed to power antenna

So, I have the new power one mounted up and everything, but I wasnt sure what to do for the wiring. The stock antenna is wired into the big bundle of wires for the lights and **** on that side, and the power antenna had a plastic plug on it. Do I just need to cut and splice all of the wires between both of them or is there soemthing else that I need to do to get it to do it's thing? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

http://www.blackcamaro.com/antenna.htm
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Getting ready to do this myself. It's funny after doing a bunch of research that all the camaro guys want power antennas and all the firebird guys want fixed antennas.

I want a power one because it's really annoying to take off the antenna everytime I put the cover on the car. It'd be nice if it was already down!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

im doing the exact same thing. looked at the write-up which was a big help but which wire is the lead that goes into the amp? i dont want to run a wire all the way to the radio.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

anyone!?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You have to run a wire to the radio. There are three wires on the power antenna - black, orange, and pink. The black and orange are ground and constant power which you can tap from the amplifier harness. The pink is the antenna control signal which comes from the radio.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You have to run a wire to the radio. There are three wires on the power antenna - black, orange, and pink. The black and orange are ground and constant power which you can tap from the amplifier harness. The pink is the antenna control signal which comes from the radio.
Which one do you tap into on the radio? As in the black plugin and what color wire
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I just noticed you have a T/A rather than a Camaro. The Camaro doesn't have the necessary wire to trigger the antenna (you have to insert a new pin in the connector) but the T/A does. In fact, you should have all the necessary wiring already installed because all 2000 Trans Ams came with a power antenna from the factory (only the base V6 Firebird came with a fixed antenna that year).

In any case, the power antenna control wire is the only pink wire in the radio harness.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Well mine was a manual antenna and I don't see any wires back there to splice suggesting that someone cut em and stuck a manual in there. So it's the pink wire then, is it also in the amp harness?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, because the amp doesn't care about the antenna. But since you know it has to have been there at sometime, it might be worth pulling off the trim panels to see if you can find it at the back. Even if someone replaced the factory power antenna with a manual one, there would have been no reason to deliberately hide the original harness so I suspect you'll find it somewhere nearby.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, because the amp doesn't care about the antenna. But since you know it has to have been there at sometime, it might be worth pulling off the trim panels to see if you can find it at the back. Even if someone replaced the factory power antenna with a manual one, there would have been no reason to deliberately hide the original harness so I suspect you'll find it somewhere nearby.
Got it done and works great! never did find that harness back there which i thought was odd so i just ran a wire that i tapped into the pink one. Thanks a bunch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swapping from fixed to power antenna