Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend upgrade with turbo or spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rearend upgrade with turbo or spray?

Im thinking about putting a turbo or a nitrous kit on. I have the stock 10bolt but I'm not going to drag race it, just roll racing. Would I need to get a 9" or 12 bolt with say 600-800 hp or would the 10 bolt be okay.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by felts
Im thinking about putting a turbo or a nitrous kit on. I have the stock 10bolt but I'm not going to drag race it, just roll racing. Would I need to get a 9" or 12 bolt with say 600-800 hp or would the 10 bolt be okay.
im not sure if the 10 bolt will handle 600-800 hp even on roll racing, but for sure at that power lvl your stock driveshaft is gonna be a weak point too.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I didn't know about the driveshaft being weak, okay I read where some people have said that easing the power in would help the 10 last but idk for how long. What rear would you recommend?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't know about the driveshaft being weak, okay I read where some people have said that easing the power in would help the 10 last but idk for how long. What rear would you recommend?
at the power lvl you want to run, the 10 bolt wont hold for long, they even break at stock power lvl, not to mention if you wanna use sticky tires on a 10 bolt is the perfect recipe for destruction. Having said that there is a couple choices for these cars, I personally went with a MWC fab 9" rear, you cant beat the price and quality, not to mention the excellent customer service you get, you can also get a s60 if you are not concern about weight, or a moser 9" all good quality pieces, if i were you i would call MWC and discuss your goals and they can set you up with whatever you need, great guys to deal with.

EDIT:is your car an m6 or a4?, a4 tend to be more forgiving on the rear, so you may get away with it for a bit longer.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Teching In

get a 12bolt or a 9" rather be safe than sorry....
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup the stock drive shaft is very weak, my drive shaft broke long before my 10 bolt. It broke dead center, just twisted in half. The drive shaft took out the transmission tail housing, y-pipe, and adjustable torque arm. This was at 485hp/440tq (old LS1, before the LS3) by the way. So i'd highly recommend a new drive shaft even if you don't upgrade the rear end.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Teching In

It's a a4. Ive been reading that racing on the streets it's better to have a m6 so I might do a swap, but also picking the right stall and gears can be good, I just don't know what they are right now. 3600 stall w 3.73s?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a a4. Ive been reading that racing on the streets it's better to have a m6 so I might do a swap, but also picking the right stall and gears can be good, I just don't know what they are right now. 3600 stall w 3.73s?
I'd keep the automatic and find a way to take your racing to a dragstrip, where it is much safer and you get to keep your license. Turbos do better with 3.23 to 3.50 gears. With the power you're at and since you have an automatic, you could go with a locker. Here is a link to the Moser nine inch with a locker. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...oit-Locker.htm It also has an option to also order a PST 3.5" alum driveshaft. When you order the combo together you can save yourself $50.00.
If you want to order a rear with a differential that you'll never know is back there, but will also handle the power, I'd go with the Wavetrac. Here is a link to the Moser 9 inch with the Wavetrac. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...h-Wavetrac.htm

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm Info

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...structions.htm Installation instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks Bob for that imformative reply. I think my age was playing a part on street racing, just occasionally. I don't have my computer with me, so this iPhone is a pain. Does the moser 9" w wavetrac bolt right in, I have abs w TCS. and how much would everything be that I would need including driveshaft?

Thanks
Felts
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Bob for that imformative reply. I think my age was playing a part on street racing, just occasionally. I don't have my computer with me, so this iPhone is a pain. Does the moser 9" w wavetrac bolt right in, I have abs w TCS. and how much would everything be that I would need including driveshaft?

Thanks
Felts
Yes, once you install your 10 bolts brake backing plates and install the axles, etc it bolts right in place of your 10 bolt rear.

$3515.00 shipped. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a few customers down south that this is all they do with their vehicle and many of them have our non braced housing with our billet clutch posi set up and been very happy with the results making decent hp through turbo set ups.

You are looking at our fabricated housing w/ drain plug brake line tabs and e-brake bracket, chrome-moly torque arm, trans cross member (long or short version), nodular iron case gears ratio of your choice using our rebuildable billet clutch posi, powder coated black, complete assembled set up for 4ch with your reluctor rings and brakes shipped to you for $3610 with a steel drive shaft using a good yoke.

It shows up to you and all you have to do is bolt it into the car and add fluid since it will come to you all complete, no need to worry about pressing on axle bearings, and bolting in the center section.

If you need any help with anything let me know and I will try my best to help you out.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 06-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.