Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done the research... Now need your opinions on best exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Done the research... Now need your opinions on best exhaust setup

Spent the last couple of days pouring through just about every exhaust post I could find and I think I've got it narrowed down to two options...

First a little history... I had a 3" true dual/x-pipe/ultraflow/dumps setup on my car last year. Sounded great around town and at the track, but the drone/vibration during extended highway cruising was unbearable. My ears would literally be ringing by the time I'd driven the 1.5 hours from the track back to my house. Decided to sell that setup and went with a Hooker ORY and an SLP 2OTL. Now the drone's gone, but here's my dilemna...

Just picked up a G5x3 and ordered a new set of Absolute Speed Stg 2 5.3's; in talking with Jay, it sounds like I'll probably be leaving ~ 10-15rwhp/tq on the table with my current Hooker ORY setup.

So... I'm considering the two following setups: (1) 2.5" true dual/x-pipe/borla xs's/dumps or (2) picking up a Mufflex 3" y-pipe and having dual cutout's installed. I know true duals out the back would be ideal, but the only setups I've seen are running ~ $1200, which is more than I've got after the heads/cam

I'd really prefer the true dual setup, but I'm just not sure that even with the 2.5" v 3" and the Borla's v. Ultraflo's that it'd be quiet enough to drive for extended stints on the highway without making my ears (and more importantly, my wife's ears) bleed.

I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts
Old 02-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the best way to satisfy both of your requirements is to do the 3" Y with cutouts.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

ive got 2.5" true duals dumped and its not much different than the 3" (the 3" is a little louder and deeper, but as far as vibrations/drone goes, it feels the same to me). true duals would be ideal, but it sounds to me like dual cutout mufflex is what you're looking for. good luck!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got FLP headers with off road pipes (no cats) a cut-out and the stock SS catback.
i absolutely love this set-up!!!!!!!
with the cut-out closed you cant hear a thing....very stealth...
but when you want to go loud, flip the switch, and it is fuc#ing loud.....
i love that damn cut-out!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

So it sounds like a 2.5" setup (even with the Borla's) would sound pretty similar to my previous setup
Old 02-26-2004, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Id go with 3" duals and an X-pipe. Id also add some sound deadener to the floor. I added "Frost King"-Duct insulation (Home Depot) and it killed quite a few rattles and the exhaust is noticeably quieter inside. It is light too, about 3 LB's per roll. Id recommend about 5 rolls. Ive used about 3 rolls and im not done.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:52 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2.5" duals out the back
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

The best I've ever heard is SLP LT's, SLP high-flow cats, SLP Y-pipe, SLP LM. The best way to describe it is a regular LM under 4,000rpm, but then the tone changes above 4,500 to a trumpet-like scream.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

oh, whats more important, your hearing or your cars performance we will all be deaf one day anyways right I am currently running a 3" true duals setup on my car and have no issues with the sound at all, actually its quieter at a set cruise (70 MPH) on the hwy vs going around town from stop sign to lights getting up to 40 mph.

If anything else i agree with the other guy and you could just get the 3" mufflex with the cutouts, not sure how that sounds, i have never run a cutout on any car i have owned, but i know you will have less rasp with at true dual setup vs the off-road y-pipe.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
oh, whats more important, your hearing or your cars performance we will all be deaf one day anyways right
LOL, that sbout sums it up, doesn't it

Interesting that you don't notice the reverberation/resonance on the highway... steady cruising always produced the worst droning with my previous setup.

I love the idea of duals and I always did love the sound OUTSIDE the car; and I just can't see spending ~ $500 for a custom y/dual cutout setup.

I'm thinking maybe I'll go with 2.5 true duals with Borla XS's dumped at the axle for now, then next year maybe I'll go ahead and have them run all the way out the back.

Does anyone have any soundclips of the Borla XS's in a true dual setup??
Old 02-28-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02bluess
Does anyone have any soundclips of the Borla XS's in a true dual setup??
I have a Borla XR1 clip at LS1 Sounds if that helps.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I noticed you are fom Bloomington. I have Jay's S2 heads and Hooker LT with ORY and an ATR Cat back. Works well and Dynoed well too. PM me if you want to take a look and listen.