LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

weird noise coming from my SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise coming from my SS

I have a 07 SS with 28k on it. When im driving it i hear a noise when im at a certian speed and when i let go of the gas pedel. At first i thought it was my exhaust but thats not it. It sounds like something is rattling but when i give it a little gas it goes away, then a minuet later it comes back.. its irrating. Everything is stock on my car, and i still have my powertrain warranty. anyone is familier with this problem or know what it is?

thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Teching In

possibly the DOD doing its thing, not sure if theres any differences in the exhaust between the imp vs gxp, but mine gets a drone when it kicks in.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

So we may have a similar issue, if you have tapshift capability find an area between two buildings or anywhere that echos and try to get it into 3rd gear as quick as you can with the windows down. If you start to hear a rattling chain kind of noise after a couple seconds it's probably the same issue I'm having which I was told was the DOD timing chain. If you drop it into 2nd, or 1st, or accelerate it will go away. I was told it wasn't anything to worry about, let us know what you find out.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

I have the impala SS so i dont have tap shift. but yes thats when i heard it was close to a bridge, then i pressed on the gas, it went away; then it came back. it does it when i go about 40 or higher. but my buddy was behind me at a stop light and it he said it sounded like crap. idk what the prob is. Maybe the pully? hope this is under power train.. lol
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Oh ok wasn't sure about the tapshift on the Impala. I don't think mine is loud enough that people behind me can hear it over the exhaust, at least I hope it's not. Not sure where the normal shift points are in that car or when the DOD activates but that sounds like it could be about right. I'm annoyed that DOD comes on when it does in my car, I mean under 30-35 makes no sense to me, considering having it tuned to a higher threshold.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

yea, i hear ya. Im going to take it to the dealership and let you know what the outcome was.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Does it ever happen when your are sitting still and idling?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Does it ever happen when your are sitting still and idling?
No nothing. i was driving to my house and was in 15 and just coasting and i heard it but stops when im sitting still
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Teching In

It's the lifters rattling when DOD engages. Happens when the transmission shifts into 4th gear, while in 4-cylinder mode. DOD does not engage in 1st through 3rd gear. The reason you don't hear it any longer when you tap the gas is because you've re-engaged all 8 cylinders. This "rocks in a coffee can" sound is quite normal for us who have not de-activated the DOD feature. If I'm going through town, sometimes I'll just leave the shifter in "3" as to avoid others driving next to me looking at my car as if there's something really wrong or loose on it.

Here's a way to make sure it's the DOD - toggle through the driver information selections until you find the screen that tells you instant MPG. It also tells you if you're in 4 or 8 cylinder mode. You'll notice that as you are approaching a stop, the engine switches back to 8 cylinder mode. Look to see if that's when the rattling stops. Check it out.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy
It's the lifters rattling when DOD engages. Happens when the transmission shifts into 4th gear, while in 4-cylinder mode. DOD does not engage in 1st through 3rd gear. The reason you don't hear it any longer when you tap the gas is because you've re-engaged all 8 cylinders. This "rocks in a coffee can" sound is quite normal for us who have not de-activated the DOD feature. If I'm going through town, sometimes I'll just leave the shifter in "3" as to avoid others driving next to me looking at my car as if there's something really wrong or loose on it.

Here's a way to make sure it's the DOD - toggle through the driver information selections until you find the screen that tells you instant MPG. It also tells you if you're in 4 or 8 cylinder mode. You'll notice that as you are approaching a stop, the engine switches back to 8 cylinder mode. Look to see if that's when the rattling stops. Check it out.
awesome, makes sence. i will deff check it out when i get in my car next and let you know tonight. thanks a lot
Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Do the GXP DIC tell you when you're in 8 and 4 modes?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I would hope so - but I don't know since I don't own one. Maybe a GP person can offer some help here.

The only remedy I've heard for this racket is either:

1 - reprogramming the PCM to eliminate the DOD feature (permanent until re-flashed back to stock,) or

2 - you can attempt to "bleed the lifters" (I read that on here a while back. Very temporary, but may help a little. Perform a search on this forum and you may find it.) Essentially you warm the car up, put the transmission into park, then give it steady gas at about 2,000 RPM for a minute or so. Somehow this is supposed to clear out any build-up in the collapsible lifters, which are the ones responsible for making all the noise. I've never tried it...figured I'd just live with the rattling as it's really not a big deal to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

ok yea, i think its what you said. I was crusin in 4cyl mode about 40 mph then it would kick on when i would slow down when it would hit 8cyl mode. but when i curise it came on and i was wathcing my dash, i hit the pedel then it went right away as soon as it hit 8cyl. so is this something to bring to the shop to get it looked at?

does this happen to you guyses cars?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Happens to me all the time,sometime I cruise in 3rd so it runs on all 8.So I don't have to hear the helicopter behind me
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xdynasty725x
ok yea, i think its what you said. I was crusin in 4cyl mode about 40 mph then it would kick on when i would slow down when it would hit 8cyl mode. but when i curise it came on and i was wathcing my dash, i hit the pedel then it went right away as soon as it hit 8cyl. so is this something to bring to the shop to get it looked at?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to take it into the dealership - but from my experience, be prepared to hear "it's normal" for these cars. And if you're out of warranty, you'll have to pay up to $100 just to have them run a diagnostic, etc. That is completely up to you - but if the sound you're referring to is like a bunch of "tinny" sounding rocks bouncing around, more than likely it's the DOD lifters, and it is completely normal.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Negative, just checked the DIC on my 08' GXP does not indicate when you are in 4 or 8.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

There is a TSB for the 08' GXP that speaks to lifter ticking noises, oil leaks at the lifters etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common TSB for LS4s in general. I noticed a ticking sound at start-up which is I think a more concerning issue than the noises you are hearing. They replaced all 16 lifters and the start-up noise went away. The noise with DOD engagement did not. Mine will activate in 3rd gear at low speed which I find to be perplexing, considering I don't plan on cruising or usually stay at or around 15 mph when driving around town. It just promotes unnecessary wear on the components in my opinion.

I would definitely take it to the dealership if it's still under warranty.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redlightrampage
There is a TSB for the 08' GXP that speaks to lifter ticking noises, oil leaks at the lifters etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common TSB for LS4s in general. I noticed a ticking sound at start-up which is I think a more concerning issue than the noises you are hearing. They replaced all 16 lifters and the start-up noise went away. The noise with DOD engagement did not. Mine will activate in 3rd gear at low speed which I find to be perplexing, considering I don't plan on cruising or usually stay at or around 15 mph when driving around town. It just promotes unnecessary wear on the components in my opinion.

I would definitely take it to the dealership if it's still under warranty.
It sounds normal at start up,and i just checked theres no oil leaks. but not sure im still researchin and i only have my powertrain left.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Teching In

It sounds normal at start up,
Ha, wait until the winter! If this coming cold season is your first owning the car, be prepared. (Since you just recently joined the site, I assumed that you haven't had the car long. If not, sorry, but you can probably relate to what I'm going to tell you next...) The startup in cold weather could possibly freak you out if you're not prepared for it. When the outside temps get below 20 degrees F or so, don't be surprised if you hear some pretty noisy lifter tick. After a few minutes and the oil circulates, it should subside quite a bit; just wanted to give you a heads-up that this noise, too, is considered "normal" on these cars.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Ha, wait until the winter! If this coming cold season is your first owning the car, be prepared. (Since you just recently joined the site, I assumed that you haven't had the car long. If not, sorry, but you can probably relate to what I'm going to tell you next...) The startup in cold weather could possibly freak you out if you're not prepared for it. When the outside temps get below 20 degrees F or so, don't be surprised if you hear some pretty noisy lifter tick. After a few minutes and the oil circulates, it should subside quite a bit; just wanted to give you a heads-up that this noise, too, is considered "normal" on these cars.
yeah i bought the car in october and the ticking noise did freak me out but didnt really pay attention to it lol. i thought it was the gas i was using (speedway 92) lol but when i first bought it i used unleaded lol but now thats out of the question

Quick Reply: weird noise coming from my SS