Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

M6 Daily Driver - Need expertise this is driving me INSANE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 Daily Driver - Need expertise this is driving me INSANE!

Situation: I'm looking to buy a 2005-2006 GTO and can't make up my mind on the A4 vs M6. I have driven a Manual for the past 10 years but nothing with crazy RWHP. (Cavalier z24 and a cobalt SS/SC which is 250hp fwd).
I do drive in traffic a decent amount of time, but am good enough with a manual that it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

I have read all the forum posts here and all over the net including ls1gto forums and here is what I have concluded, but I need your real world experiences to help me out:

A4 Pros: Easier/Consistent to launch the car if racing from a dig/dead stop. Less wheelhop/pre-loads the suspension all that good stuff. Launch technique is easier to learn and master. Easier to drive in traffic obviously. Never have to worry about missing a gear.

M6 Pros: Better gas mpg (2 extra gears that are both overdrive) maybe 2-3 more mpg which does add up over time. Some argue it is better from a roll but i haven't gotten any confirmation on that. Something about being able to stay in 2nd gear longer. More HP gain mod for mod (but it's something small like 2-4% if that). Probably a bit cooler with modded exhaust (you can rev at people without having to shift into neutral )

I know this question has been asked a million times, that's why i wanted to show the summarized research above and give you my exact questions that I cant seem to answer based on what is available.

Whatever I plan on getting I plan to do full bolt-on's. CAI, headers, x-pipe, exhaust for starters and then possibly a fast throttle body/intake once I learn more about them. I doubt I would be doing cam/headers as that's when stuff starts to get into the huge numbers and needing to upgrade clutches/transmissions and such. I also expect to replace at least the rear springs as a minimum as I hear the stock ones suck and will sag.

1. I don't plan to drag race the car at a track, however like any guy with ***** that have dropped, if it's friday night and i'm at a light and a <insert other decent car> pulls up, revs, and looks over (and it's all clear in front of us and safe and not exceeding any speed limits..and we are in mexico...) I will most likely engage in spirited run and would like to come out either on the winning end or at least putting up a respectable fight. I'm realistic i dont expect to be keeping up with z06 corvettes. I'm talking about new 5.0 mustangs/camaros/etc and not really into triple digits either as I'm not looking to end up in the slammer or anything. Talking about bursts up to 40, 60, maybe 70. I'm worried about the M6 and having to drop the clutch at 3500+ rpm, wheel hop all that. I'm not looking to beat the crap out of the car Is this really a concern for normal street driving/light to light or is the whole A4 way better for dig racing really only relevant at the track where people are going all out ***** to the wall as soon as the tree hits green?

2. If like most driving around on the street the little revs and 3 second races are from a roll where you quickly pass someone or rev by them or something. I'm guessing the M6 would probably be better for this as you can pick the exact gear you want to be in or hold gears a little longer without having to floor it.

I really don't plan on doing forced induction (turbo/supercharger) but i heard an A4 is better for that as well.

Thoughts/opinions/experiences?
Like I said i'm looking at a slightly modded GTO with bolt-ons probably in the 350-375 rwhp range (maybe 400 max if i went apeshit someday when the car is older).

I would also be looking at doing at least rear suspension and putting slightly bigger tires on at least the rear 265/275's which should help a little.

Thoughts/opinons? P.S. not trying to start a flame war, i know it really comes down to personal preference, but i'm really on the fence here and there are some definitely pros and cons to both. I'm just wondering what it's like in the real world vs the track. I don't want to end up with a burnout monster that gets blown away by pos cars while cruising around Detroit

in advance.... Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Also if I went the M6 way a short shifter would be installed as well. GMM ripshift or equivalent which I hear makes a HUGE difference in the enjoyability and capability of the M6 GTO.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They aren't bad in traffic(M6). I didn't use to drive mine as a daily driver but I'd get stuck in DC/Baltimore traffic every time I did and it wasn't bad at all.

Shifter makes a big difference. I'm partial to GMM as that's what I have and what I have installed in other GTO's. The B&M is the only other shifter I have experience with and it absolutely was horrible.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I dont see problem with m6 in traffic
I start and go in second gear all the time. I almost never use 1st gear unless I race somebody. if I am really lazy I will start in 3rd that will get me to 50 with out changing any gears. So if you want automatic with manual trany GTO is way to go with all the torque you have you dont need through all the gears if you are in traffic.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

40-60?? 40-70?? races? You do realize that just passing a car you will have already exceeded those speeds right? The way it sounds a stock GTO is going to be plenty for you until you get used to the power. Your underestimating the time it takes to hit 60 or 70 i guess is what im saying. Trust me you will want to hold the race out a little longer when the moment gets the best of you. To answer your question the M6's do get better gas mileage but of course im partial to the A4 bc i own one and they are a lot easier to launch. Wheel hop is crazy for most M6 guys. M6 is a little lighter though (not much). A4 you can manually drop in any gear and hold for roll races so no advantage there imo for M6. M6's are more durable than the A4 4L60E (ask anyone). I would personally just go with whatever car seems like the right car if you are up in the air about the tranny. Meaning don't let the tranny be the deal breaker if you find a car with everything you are looking for. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you don't plan to race at the track, stick with the M6.

118,000 miles on my M6, with 70,000 miles of that cammed. It is no more difficult to drive in traffic than it was new and unmodified, but is 10x more fun.

450+ to the wheels, and I get 24mpg+ below 80.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

+1 go with the M6. I drive in San Diego traffic which can be congested and I haven't had an issue driving a manual car.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A4=track racer, M6= better mileage and street racer. It is an inaccurate statement that there's no advantage to a M6 on a roll. The A4s have the dreaded dead spot where it doesn't matter what gear you try to downshift too. A M6 has no dead spot.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive daily drove my m6 goat for 2 years...no issues at all. Other than a little "premature rear tire wear"...
Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

I would say most of these statements are correct. I for one went with A4 because I was planning on a converter swap and Im short so an auto is more comfortable. The M6's do sound way better with exhaust mods.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the solid advice. I also love how this didn't turn into a bunch of ppl with M6's bashing A4's and vice versa. Just one more +1 and thumbs up to the GTO crowd as being a very cool group of guys. As stupid as this sounds it's one of the reasons I decided on a GTO. Very cool, unique car, and great group of people who drive them.

There is a really nice M6 I'm looking at from a great guy. I am going to try to work it out and will hopefully be joining the herd here very soon.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to row my own, but there is no arguing an auto is going to be faster at the track, mod for mod...........but I'll always run a 6 speed!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Daily driven M6 through peak hour in Melbourne, Australia, at times it will drive you nuts, but it is worth it when you do get to open it up

Have taken mine to the drags and in my opinion, M6 at the drags is a lot more fun and challenging

I dont know about a RIP shifter for a daily, personally I find them to be a bit stiff. I have another locally made short shifter and it is great for daily driven
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

i dd my m6 ~90 miles per day and usually in bumper to bumper traffic in the morning. in my opinion, it really isnt that bad. the motor makes lots of torque down low so its hard to stall it even after an hour of continuous left leg action and fatigue. i love how you can practically dump the clutch off idle with no throttle and the car wont stall. when not in traffic, shifting your own gears is much more fun too
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

just do watever you feel will be the most fun. gota pay to play
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like i have more control over the car with a stick, i love dding my goat. Being in stop and go traffic has never really bothered me being from New Jersey i'm very used to it. Do what you think is best for you
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

a4. i wish i would have gotten one.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I've never understood the "dead spot" argument with the A4's. You can manually drop into any gear and hold for roll racing and a stalled A4 is quite nasty from a roll imo. If your one that does roll racing in your A4 from "D" and are around 40mph and just smash it? Yea the car only drops to 2nd and feels like a dog. Hens, hold manually in gear = no dead spot.

I would agree with what others have said above though,

M6 = better mileage and DD

A4 = consistent track car and good DD
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
I prefer to row my own, but there is no arguing an auto is going to be faster at the track, mod for mod...........but I'll always run a 6 speed!
Agreed!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

I am impartial as well to the M6. Dropping it down to third on the highway and popping the clutch is a blast becuase you can wind that gear out to over 85. It really is a fun car to drive. Before the cam it was as smooth as butter in traffic. Now I gotta be careful because it it will buck at anything under 1200 RPM. Shifter (I have a Hurst) and rear springs are must. Don't worry about any FAST products until you put a cam and/or heads on. Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: M6 Daily Driver - Need expertise this is driving me INSANE!