Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/4l60e in 99 jeep tj problems. Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3/4l60e in 99 jeep tj problems. Need HELP

I got the 5.3/4l60e out of a 03 2wd escalade. I am using the novak adapter (with their vss sensor) joined to my original 99 jeep tj tcase. I have wired the project myself. Installed a cam, 3k stall, and had someone turn off the vats and rear o2s, and do a base tune until it is drivable for a final tune. Jeep runs great in all aspects except for when it shifts into second gear its slips very badly every time. It only slips in second gear. The trans was originally gone through when the output shaft was changed to accept the adapter. Since then I have pulled it back out, brought it to another good builder and found nothing wrong with it. The trans shift very well, its just after the shift it will not hold second gear. If I manually put it down into second gear it will not slip at all. Im leaning towards a electrical problem after talking to a few people, any ideas?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Teching In

sounds like you need a tune for your tranny. I went with a 700r4 in my jeep to get around the electronics and needing a seperate trans tune.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

I recall reading that a bad MAF signal will cause the PCM to drop trans line pressure. Not sure if that helps, or is even true, but I suppose it can't hurt to check.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM

SOLVED, VSS sensor was giving a slightly inaccurate reading. Threaded it in a 1/4 more turn and is reading perfectly. I feel like a idiot, but it is what it is.

Quick Reply: 5.3/4l60e in 99 jeep tj problems. Need HELP