Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front end help. Retaining/Jam nut size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end help. Retaining/Jam nut size?

I installed a rebuilt rack along with new tie rod ends yesterday and am going to get it aligned this weekend. I bought the lifetime alignment @ Firestone when i bought the car so they'll be doing it. I know people have horror story's about FS doing alignments, but the store mgr is a friend of mine and has taken real good care of me in the past. He has a pretty bad *** SC'd Mustang, and several of the guys there have nice cars. When I bought the car the previous owner did the most FUBAR'd job of installing lower a arms and the front end was all messed up. They worked on it for a few hours, had to stop to do a lady's that had an appointment, and then worked another 1.5 hours getting me good.

Well this time I'd like to get it as close as possible so I'm not there all morning and they aren't working several hours on what is basically a free alignment. Here is what I'm thinking. I thought if I measured the distance between the center of both front tires on the front and the back sides I could get a number by averaging a center point. Anyone do anything like this before?

***edit***

Yeah, so I go out to start getting everything lined up and realized I didn't put the jam nut on the tie rod. Looked around everywhere, but I'm thinking I may have let them on my core. Anyone know the correct size & thread of the nut for it?

Last edited by Blwn_by_Twins; 06-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

all you really need to do to get everything almost right on is measure from center point to center point on your tie rod ends and make sure that measurement is the same after the install of the new rack and pinion and tie rods. Aslong as you are not messing with your control arm adjustments everything should be good to go and the alignment shouldnt take more then about 30 minutes if camber and caster adjustments are still in specifications