Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping valve springs

I've done a good job with the searchy, searchy button on this site. However, I am falling short on finding a decent write-up on "swapping valve springs" while the motor is in the car. I know you can use compressed air to keep the valves from falling into the motor, but what tools do I need for that? I have a compressor, but no spring compressor...need to purchase. The next thing is, do I need to take any measurements between the retainer and the bottom of the spring...checking for height. Just want to swap out my old LS1 springs for LS6's. Any tips, suggestions and or links will help. This is the first time, I've been reluctant on doing work on the car Not going to lie, I am a little nervous here
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can buy a spring compressor tool from TSP and sell it after wards if you want.you need a compression or leak down kit with the plug adapter hose.or you can modify a spark plug and weld a air hose fitting to it.ls6 springs can be consider a drop in spring ,no need to measure.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can buy a spring compressor tool from TSP and sell it after wards if you want.you need a compression or leak down kit with the plug adapter hose.or you can modify a spark plug and weld a air hose fitting to it.ls6 springs can be consider a drop in spring ,no need to measure.
Awesome.

Thanks.