Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottle Heater + Arming button

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottle Heater + Arming button

my switches have it where you flip down for the heater to come on and up to arm the system, does anyone wire it different so you can just arm it and it will heat it before during and after without having to switch it back and forth?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to be asking whether two switches are necessary. The answer is yes. Arming and heating should be two separate switches. Each of the two functions should have an associated indicator light.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

yea just tap your power wire to the arming wire and it will turn both on
Old 06-19-2011, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

damn, i just got two different answers...
Gary Z why must i run both and not just have to arm the nitrous and it heats non-stop until i disarm it or until the pressure switch shuts it off?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camscam02
yea just tap your power wire to the arming wire and it will turn both on
thats what i was thinking but just wanted to double check to make sure there was not a problem with it, i dont see why they would make two different switches instead of just linking them together
Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
i dont see why they would make two different switches instead of just linking them together
Sounds like you have the NX switch set?

Arm and heating are two seperate "operations". By setting your car up to heat the bottle while you drive around "armed" is a bad idea.

While a properly set up system would require three things to actually "Arm" the system (Arm On, WOT Switch Active, Engine RPM within RPM "Window"), you would be setting yourself up for accidently lighting off the system while your driving around "heating" up the bottle. Consequences are wasted Nitrous (its not cheap for refills) or worse, forgetting it was armed and losing control of the car either damaging it or worse killing someone as a result of losing control of the car.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heaters and solenoids both draw a lot of amps. It's best to keep them on separate circuits to minimize amp draw while you're spraying.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Heaters and solenoids both draw a lot of amps. It's best to keep them on separate circuits to minimize amp draw while you're spraying.
You can them off of different relays and use the same switch. All it is, is completing the circuit for each different relay.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Gotta disagree with Cam on this one. You could use a single switch for arming and bottle heat but you shouldn’t. When bottle pressure is near 950 psi, the heater should be disabled (switched off). You should not rely solely on a pressure or temperature switch to control the heater. You should control the heater. When you are heating a nitrous bottle, you should check the pressure gauge frequently. The pressure or temperature switch should be considered as a safety backup switch, not as the primary heater control. Your system should not be armed until you are completely focused on controlling the car. This means not until a few seconds before going WOT. You sometimes need to heat the bottle for many minutes before the pressure reaches 950 psi. Having the system armed during this time is asking for trouble. Both functions should be active for the minimum time necessary. To meet this requirement, separate switches are needed.

Last edited by Gary Z; 06-19-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im just not a fan of making things more complicated than they need to be. You could wire something in, but is it really worth the complexity?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Im not saying its the right or wrong thing to do, Im just answering his question that he could do it very easily IF he wanted to do it. I agree to not put them on the same switch, but it can be done if wanted.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah... we're definately on the same page.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Yeah... we're definately on the same page.