General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear pinion seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear pinion seal leaking

im wondering how long it would take to replace a rear pinion seal on a 01 camaro? i work 14 hour days and time is a issue so would it be hard to do it myself or just take it to shop?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

seems even if you do replace the seal...it still leaks..........so unless its gushing a qt a week.......i would leave it alone
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Show me a pinion seal that doesn't leak.

They all seep a little bit. I had my dad take my car to the shop for something a few years ago and he had noticed the seal was seeping, so he told the shop to replace the seal I know my dad meant well, but it cost me extra $$$ and yep you guessed it, it started to seep again a few months later, as expected.

As mentioned, unless it is leaking badly, don't fret over it. They all will seep a little and look damp. As long as the oil level in the rear end stays where it should it's fine.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
seems even if you do replace the seal...it still leaks..........so unless its gushing a qt a week.......i would leave it alone
They usually only leak after because people don't install them properly. You need to make sure to put teflon sealer around the splines of the yoke, and you need to put rtv around the metal part of the seal that sits against the housing. Also, need to put a little grease around the inner part of the seal before you run the car. I did mine that way last year and it doesn't seep one bit.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can replace the seal from the front.. Remove the driveshaft, remove the rear cover and drain the fluid. Remove the pinion nut, and then the yoke. Use some sheet metal screws, and run them through the old pinion seal. Use them to work out the old seal. Do what ^^ said and run a thin bead of RTV around the metal lip of the new seal, and seal the splines of the yoke. Tighten the pinion nut, checking for correct turning torque. (google is your friend)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks guys the guy at the shop told me it's barely leaking but if it always does that I'm not going to worry about it right now
Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Launching!

I had a leak coming from my rear end in my '98 camaro M6 soo i replaced the pionon seal, i was hoping i didnt need to install the bearing and race also because i heard you had to press that in which means i have to remove the rearend. Soo me and my friend installed the new seal and it's been sitting in my garage ever since (winter time) and i noticed it has been leaking alittle bit, soo far two boloni size puddles, i used a new pizza box to see if it was still leaking because i noticed a small puddle. I also filled the rearend up with fluid, could i have added to much fluid or is this the normal seal leakage ?

Also when i did the seal i replaced the u joints, they are upgraded joints from advance auto anyways i had trouble getting the old u joints out because of the plastic pins soo i took it over to a shop to have him slightly melt them with a torch( i know bad idea) and it put a small size dent near the u joints go in the driveshaft soo i'm thinking about getting a inland empire driveshaft ? When i bought the car is had a small vibration when i let off the gas and it still does even with the dent in the driveshaft its the same.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, if you new seal is leaking, id take a look at the fluid level, if you overfill any rear end too much its gonna leak out the pinion seal, just havta patiently wait for it to stop coming out of the check/fill plug hole when you fill it.

Quick Reply: Rear pinion seal leaking