Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS1 car questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS1 car questions

Hey everyone,
New to the forums, and to the world of LS motors. Ive always been a camaro fan since the day my dad brought home our 67 SS when I was about 10. Well now im looking into getting a 01 Z28, and have been doing some research but still have some questions. From reading around on here as well as talking to a few buddys locally here is my game plan when I get the car.

-SLP lid
-Pace setter headers
-SLP cat-back
-LS6 Intake Maifold with FAST 90MM TB
-Dyno Tune
-Plugs/Wires

Also im trying to find one with a 6-speed but if i have to get a automatic, I will either beef up the 4L60 or replace it with a 4L80. With all that said, on to my questions.. Ive heard that the stock 10 bolt wont stand up to very much added power, is this true? If i need be i will replace it with a Moser 9in, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, and new axle shafts. With all the mods listed above, would i need to upgrade the fuel system in any way; injectors, fuel pump, rails?

Im also thinking about getting the EFI Live setup to tune myself, however i dont know anything about tunning, or the motor, but i am willing to learn how not only to have the accomplishment of doing it myself but to be able to tune again after future mods.

Thanks for any and all help, and to let you know what im setting this car up for its going to be my daily driver however i also want to be able to take it to the track on the weekend and have some fun,

- Wade
Old 06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

yeah the 10 bolt are not built real rugged.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

With the mods you have planned the 10-bolt will be fine, especially if you go with an auto.

My buddy has a '00 SS making 411 rwhp N/A with a 6-speed and his stock 10-bolt is fine.

I slapped a TA girdle on my 350 rwhp TA just for insurance....

Also, if the budget allows, stay away from pacesetters (ceramic coated) and go with something stainless like QTP or Kooks
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^what this dude said regarding headers and rear end.

In addition, I'd check out a couple other cat-backs. LM's are not the nicest sounding system IMO....but then again, I'm a little conservative
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

I have pacesetter coated headers and I love them had them less than a year though and I live in the south east so no real rust threat.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

The 01 should already have the LS6 intake.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. well the deal on the 01 fell through, however im going to take a look at a 98 this coming saturday. Its got 100,000 miles on it, interior and exterior are both very nice, aftermarket 18in wheels, SLP headers with 3in exhaust into SLP resonators, and a SLP lid. Its a automatic that has already had a little work done to it, i know for sure it has vette servos in it not sure what else though. The only thing that is wrong with it is the top two o2 sensors are burnt out so i will replace them, is there any other general matience needed before i start on saving for my other mods?

Once again thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go ahead and change all your fluids (oil, coolant, tranny, rear end) when you get the car just so you know your schedule. Fuel filter. Plugs/wires like you have listed. I'd take a look at all your bushings as well. Also IIRC an LS6 intake requires a little trickery to fit a 90mm TB. I currently run an LM2 setup, and I like it, but I'll likely sell it soon for a better cb.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

^^ thanks for the advise on the intake. I planned on changing all my fluids out as well. Where is the best place to get some o2 sensors? I called my local advance auto and they said its 65 a piece for the denso's. Ive been looking around on summit, and found some MSD coil packs that are multiple spark, anyone running these? If so do they help at all, and is there anything else that needs to be done to complement them?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a faulty coil pack, leave them be. I picked up some O2s from advance for my 3.8L firebird a while back, but I can't recall the price. I'll be picking up some more soon as I have a header install on the way.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, Get a list of all the mods that have been done to it, along with the Brand and model of all the mods.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Teching In

^^ as far as i know, the only mods done to it are what i have mentioned, with the exception of a hypertch programmer which will soon be coming off if i can learn the ways of EFI live.