Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has passed emissions tests with lt's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has passed emissions tests with lt's?

has anyone passed emissions sniffer tests? not the obdII testing but the actual tail pipe emissions test? Im planning on going with pacesetters or flowtech long tubes with all the emissions stuff on them and i have hiflow cats and im going to put a bullet style muffler in the I pipe and a hooker catback out back (just to help keep the noise and rasp to a minimum with lt's). The shop i take my car too doesnt do a visual inspection as long as it passes the tail pipe emissions tests.

anyone pass it?
T
Old 02-27-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed the two speed idle test last year with SLP longtubes and cats. The motor was stock then, They could not do the ODBII test as the car was up on blocks and went directly to the exhaust shop then to the tester as the sticker was 3 months out of date. the batt was disconnected and there were not enough miles to reset the system tests.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

LT with cats should be fine anywhere except CA. I've never heard anybody mention failing a [visual] test with LTs + cats other than CA people.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed... as long as you have good cats, passing the sniffer should not be a problem. It becomes an issue when they do a visual and find the cats have been pushed back (like here in Cali )
Old 02-27-2004, 09:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LT with cats should be fine anywhere except CA. I've never heard anybody mention failing a [visual] test with LTs + cats other than CA people.
which is why i think cali is ****** gay when it comes to that since LT and cats will pass the snifer.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

California....home of the smog ****'s.....
Old 02-28-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, I don't get a visual during the emissions and the visual during the state inspection is merely "do you have cats....do you have a muffler (s)...is the smog equipment hooked up"...so id most likely be ok with exception to the occasional bored *** cop that thinks its too loud. but i keep money on the side for that.

what kind of quality are the hooker headers? i can get them for the same price as pacesetters (well about 25 bucks more) Im trying to decide what to go with. I was going to do true duals, but my buddy with the shop that is doing the install with me gave me the thumbs down price-wise So im thinking HOoker lt's with a 3 to 2.5 inch reducer to a 2.5in catted bassani y pipe (mostly for helping keep the noise level down) a bullet muffler in the I pipe (for any rasp) then a hooker catback...what do you all think?
thanks for teh replies
T
Old 02-28-2004, 12:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I don't think you need the bullet if you're going to use cats. I've never heard a car rasp that had cats. All the bullet will do in a setup like you've proposed is reduce the volume level. You should be rasp free either way.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

hey whats up guys does anyone know the emmission laws work in mass i thought they were just as strict as cali cause i was looking into headers but people tell me that they are illegal but i dont know how the system works up here i thought as long as you have cats in everything will pass

Old 02-28-2004, 01:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28
hey whats up guys does anyone know the emmission laws work in mass i thought they were just as strict as cali cause i was looking into headers but people tell me that they are illegal but i dont know how the system works up here i thought as long as you have cats in everything will pass

Technically, according to the Federal Clean Air Act, any mod you do to your car is illegal because it changes the original manufacturer's configuration that was approved by the using the FTP testing procedures. But in reality, nobody cares, it doesn't get enforced (it would be impossibile even if they tried), and people will continue modding as long as cars exsist.

As for passing state emissions tests, I know a couple east coast states are almost as bad as CA, but most states would never fail you for any kind of headers so long as you had cats. Many states don't even do a visual anyway, and some stopped doing sniffers for '96 and up cars as well (OBD scan only to pass).
Old 02-28-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Northern Va follows a different set of emissions laws than the rest of the state (higher population). There are a few shops locally that you have to first pass the sniffer, then they do a visual, but i found a way around that and thats just to find a shop and get buddy buddy with the guys who work there, and when it comes time to get the testing buy em a 24 pack.

im not
Old 02-28-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Mass. The rules are touch the cats and you fail. that being said if you have cats then you most likely pass. Mass now uses the ODBII test so they plug the car in and the computer tells them of any codes. if the car has not passed the readiness tests then they do a sniffer test,( either the rollers or the two speed idle depending on the inspector and car) If the car has emmissions codes stored then you fail
The emmissions check is every other year, but the state computer randomly has cars done in their off year as a safeguard. the off year you get just a saftey check( this is when they are likley to spot headers and cats) I have found that it pays to hit a mod friendly shop( as a local muffler shop) and look for an older testing guy, as he is less likely to get down and look under the car. I just had the wifes 1 yr old WRX inspected and the young tech jacked the car up and checked every balljoint and looked all underneath. I will not be taking the SS to them, the less they look the better
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

**** i dont get is noise pollution. You see Harleys (and can obviously here them) granted their emissions outputs are much less than a car those ******* dont have cats or mufflers. My neighbor starts his **** up every saturday at 530 am, my one day i get to sleep in. He started that **** up last week, and i laid the bike down for him. I dont get it, those guys don't get any grief from the local cops, hell even the motorcycle cops harleys are loud as ****.

If i car passes emissions i dont get the deal about sound when fire trucks and harleys are alot louder, as are school buses 18 wheelers...**** seems kind of rediculous to me