Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

1st Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Dyno Run

So my car put down 350rwhp at LMR after Cars & Coffee a couple of weeks ago which has me puzzled because I actually expected less. It was hot (around 98 degrees), high humidity, I have an air filter that's so old it has rust, and the only mod done to the car is Corsa Catback w/o cats (at least, that's all I know about). So I've been looking at other peoples numbers & I'm starting to wonder, has this car been tuned already? I would assume not since I have a CEL P0420 & 430 for no cats & I get major backfires between shifts when the car is getting to full operating temps. So am I over thinking this and my numbers are about right, or do you think something else has been done to the car? I would post up the video, but it's on my Facebook site. I'll have to find a place to upload it as I don't have a youtube account.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

I am assuming it's a CTS-V? The regular CTS was a V6, right? So it wouldn't be anywhere close to that...

The 05 CTS-V was the LS6? I had to check, it was apparently rated at 400hp? 350rwhp would be about 412hp with the standard 15% assumed. So it sounds like you're in line with specs. Maybe even a little low as LSx vehicles often seem to be underrated, but that could be because of the factors you mentioned, high heat/humidity, dirty filter, etc.

That's just a semi-educated guess on my part, certainly not up on my CTS specs...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah, It's a V. LOL! I've noticed some dyno results with more go-fast parts getting lower numbers or similar numbers. (see about half way down the page http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-not-tune.html) He (Vmapper) ran 355rwhp with a Fast intake & other mods after the final tune.

Last edited by Ekshail; 06-20-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: to provide more info.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a tune.... but then again, all dyno's read different. Usual number i think is 320-330RWHP
Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

What kind of dyno did you run on? was it a corrected number or raw?

There are MANY MANY variables that could account for variances like this...

There are inertial and load based drum dynos and then hub based ones that remove the wheel and always read higher than other types of dynos. In any of those cases you can still mess with correction factors to show a higher number or lower.

The only way to really compair numbers is to have come from the same dyno under similar conditions.

Im too lazy to look em up but a number fo car mags have done dyno tests over many different kinds and makers.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Launching!

I'm no dyno guru hence the reason why I mentioned LMR. I hope someone can chime in on the specifics. Since it was a dyno day, i would assume that the numbers were "raw", but I got 2 pulls & they were within .18 of each other.

I can also say that there was a guy there with a C5Z06 & he said he was down about 30rwhp compared to his last dyno run at a different facility. He had cam, Header, exhaust, tune, and some other stuff done to it.

Is there a way to find out if it has been tuned or other mods?

@wcyran - That's what I thought my numbers were going to look like.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM

I got bored enough to google it.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...son/index.html
Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Launching!

OK, we can eliminate the Dynopack. With that being said, I could experience a +/- 15hp difference depending on the dyno. Makes since & I have heard of this before. Still seems like good numbers for a baseline
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM

You also have the factory freak issues. Every engine is different. i know when I was in the sentra world... we had dead stock people dynoing on the same dyno and intake/header/exhuast people and getting higher numbers. THeir mexican just put their engine together BETTER.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
You also have the factory freak issues. Every engine is different. i know when I was in the sentra world... we had dead stock people dynoing on the same dyno and intake/header/exhuast people and getting higher numbers. THeir mexican just put their engine together BETTER.
So I guess I can really say "I got the black one cause it's faster" & not be lying

Never had my Spec dyno'd. Couldn't keep a running engine in it long enough! LOL
I had the yellow one "cause it's faster".
Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

You are a ex Spic5 Owner?

was SpecVBiggie all those years ago..
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Yep. Used to live on myspecV.com. Same screen name.

I even have a meet shirt where about 30 of us took over Austin a few years ago.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Dont remember you and I was on MSV from birth to death, thevboard and B15sentra before that. Now I just troll Midatlantic sentras. i was the first to organize a mega sentra meet. Somethign like 40-45 sentras in one place.

That was the second of the large scale meets. Not everyone was in it as some left early and showed up late.

here is the first.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

I remember that 2nd pick. I was on b15 1st, then moved over to MSV until the end... which I'm still mad about till this day. EVERYTHING I learned about that car I got from MSV... With Texas being so spread out, it was stoopid hard to get a big meet going. Then we get a successful one & two weeks before what would have been the largest Texas Spec meeting, the site goes down. SMH
Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Heidi and Gurov... What can I say. They reopened the site for one day... got made fun of and shut it back down that quickly.

Was good times. From there to a LegacyGT to the CTS-V
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Launching!

I went from one V straight to another "CrAzY tAxI" died in October of last year and was replaced by "Vador" about a month later.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ekshail
OK, we can eliminate the Dynopack. With that being said, I could experience a +/- 15hp difference depending on the dyno. Makes since & I have heard of this before. Still seems like good numbers for a baseline
I'm no guru when it comes to dynos, but I do know that tuners can make the dyno give better numbers for dyno days. It makes everyone happier and they feel as though they had a good experience lol.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by hnic91
I'm no guru when it comes to dynos, but I do know that tuners can make the dyno give better numbers for dyno days. It makes everyone happier and they feel as though they had a good experience lol.
Most of this has to do with "corrected" HP numbers over raw...

http://www.land-and-sea.com/dyno-tec...horsepower.htm

But basically saying that obviously the same engine could make more or less HP based on varying temps/air density/altitude etc... So they have a corection you can do. But if you put in bad numbers into the calculation(saying your at more alttitude than you acutally are) you can get a higher number from the same engine...

I want to be dynoed with one that is at sea level and thinks its in denver.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Launching!

That's why I brought up the guy with the Z06. He claims he had higher numbers (about 50-60hp more) than what he got. Granted it was a different dyno, different day, different shop, etc. That's still a pretty big difference. I'll stick with the black is faster theory. Seems much easier to explain. LOL! I need another V1 to catch the next dyno day with me. Hopefully a close-to-stock one at that.

BTW - Why would a shop make the numbers look better for business sake? I would think they would do the opposite so they can tell people to "come back for a REAL tune".
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ekshail

BTW - Why would a shop make the numbers look better for business sake? I would think they would do the opposite so they can tell people to "come back for a REAL tune".
On another forum they were discussing how a Dyno Dynamics dyno is a heart breaker. The shop said that they could basically put it into "Dyno day" mode so that hearts aren't broken lol.

Quick Reply: 1st Dyno Run