Sponsored by:

Camaro reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro reliability?

Hey y'all,
You might have seen my other post in the gen3 external forum. Well the deal is I'm seriously considering getting a 98 z28, and I'm just concerned about the daily driving reliability of these cars? I've never owned a GM product, but that's all my family has ever owned. The car has 100k miles on it. I'm taking one of my gearhead buddies with me to look at it, and were going to pick over it with a fine tooth comb. If all that, and the carfax is clear, is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm going to be driving it about 60-70 miles a day back and forth to college and work. Thanks for any help/advise.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

These cars are an excellent DD. I would just never think of driving one in the snow. They're actually decent on gas if you don't punch it a lot and very reliable IMO (once again as long as you don't abuse it too much.)

GL
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. My only fear is the 4l60. My brother has one in his z71 and it's been a nightmare, although I think he just got a lemon. And I don't have the money right now to rebuild it. So you think even with 100k miles it'll be a good choice?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Check the trans fluid. If it's not bright red, and certainly if it's black, you can expect the transmission to be an issue eventually. Shifting good, no funny noises from the rear, not burning oil, leaks, normal electrical function (do the lights dim and get brighter when you hit the throttle?) and the exhaust isn't plugged up or falling apart, it should be a safe enough bet if you're getting a good price.

I would budget for a few things to be on the safe side: Trans fluid change, new plugs/wires, gear oil change, fuel filter, oil/filter. Some people recommend seafoam, some don't. I use it and think it's great, but change fuel filter afterwards if you seafoam it.

Random screw holes or brackets in the dash, console and trunk would be a red flag for a car I wanted to DD. I have a friend who has owned 3 LS1 Z28 cars. Sprays the crap out of them without tuning, runs without an air filter, runs slicks/spray/stall on the stock 10 bolt and when the car starts to fall apart he takes all that stuff off and sells it, so you'll want to watch for signs that a redneck speed freak like my dear friend has owned it...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks, what do I need to really check for when I go to look at it? I'll check the trans fluid, but is there any way I can check the rear end?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe someone else knows better than me, but if there's no sign of leaking fluid, no noises coming frm it and a burnout leaves 2 good tire tracks I'd call it good. From everything I've been told a 10-bolt's demise is not a gradual process. It either disintegrates completely or makes noises it is impossible to ignore when you've pushed it too far.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drove the **** out of my z28 7 days a week put 60,000 miles on it in just over two years and raced very often with heavy Mods.... car still runs perfect.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Teching In

100k is nothing on these cars my car has 132 and still runs great all stock and orig not a problem with it other than it had clogged cats which will hurt ur gas mileage and performance. GL
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say this: you're buying a 13 year old car, expect some maintainence issues. Some things I can think of off the top of my head are: PCV valve and hose (as well as other vaccum lines) being dry rotted, worn out brakes, worn out shocks, leaking t-tops or other door seals, random squeaks, creaks and rattles, blown speakers, needing new plugs and wires, changing all fluids and filters, needing tires, blown lights, TLC for the paint, and 100 other things you probably won't think of. BUT I will say 99% of that stuff is low cost replacements and easy to fix. The LS1, 4L60 and car it's self, barring abuse, should hold up well in a DD role. Just don't cheap out on maintainence.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're solid cars overall, I love mines. I got it back in April with 67,5xx miles on it, has 68,2xx something now, I drive it daily. Couple of things have gone wrong since I've been driving it though, drivers side cat has gone bad, the car has also developed an extremely slow leak that needs to be dealt with too, which I'm sure is just a gasket. But, the both of those aren't really major issues in my eyes and can easily be fixed.

Expect your normal F-Body squeaks, rattles and vibrations though. Comes with the package
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camaros.. Can't keep them running.

Trans ams.. Can't beat them.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just hit 108k on mine. I bought it with 65k going on 4 years ago.

Only mech issue other than general upkeep has been a few squeeking pulleys which I had replaced shortly after I bought the car, cost me 200 at a shop. In retrospect I should have done it myself, but I just wanted it done since it was driving me crazy.

Other than that a set of tires, shocks, plugs/wires, fuel and air filter, and of course oil changes.

That's about it.

Oh, and one of my headlight motors stopped working correctly, but I did the free fix on it and it's been fine the past year.

Tranny shifts like butter, and the AC blows nice and cold.

I also average around 22mpg most tanks, that's with 2.73 gears and a A4. And I drive the same amount as you'll be doing, about 65 miles a day or so.

I do plan on doing some maint on it this summer, tranny fluid change and tranny mount, but there's no immediate problems with it.

The ride gets tiring at times, but other than that I love it as a DD. Just don't drive it in the snow if you can help it. I have a Jeep for that.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My moms 98 trans am just hit 215,000 shes had it since 78,000 and 5 years only thing thats ever broken was window and headlight motors. Its an auto to shifts fine rear end is fine, she babys it but like everyone said check the fluids and see if you can take it for a spin to get a feel for it also check the windows and ac! Ive had 3 f bodys never had a problem except those dam headlight and window motors lol. Great cars though!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

take it to Autozone to run the codes even if there's no light on. I had mine 6 days before it bent a rod because a fuel injector was stuck open. When I took it to get the engine rebuilt he scanned it and noticed that the SES light was unplugged.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Another vote for the maintenance. Mine is 233K now and I drive it 70 miles a day, weekend autox/drag, and random WOT. Plan on a couple hundred bucks for the usual tune up items and fluids, plus maybe random parts but the mileage itself is nothing to worry about. Check compression if you are able to.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should be fine with it. Keep in mind its a sports car and things do break. If you are looking for better mileage get a granny driven cobalt. You will like the z28.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I owned a 1995 Camaro with a 3.4L V6. Other than changing the oil often I did very little maintenance on that car. In the eight years that I owned it I drove 7 days per week with my biggest issue being a dead battery and alternator. I sold it for $2k with 194,000 miles on it. I loved that car!

Now I have a 2001 Camaro SS which I have owned less than a week so far and am still getting through all of the up front maintenance that you can expect when buying a used car. I just installed the SLP skip shift eliminator tonight. Works like a charm!

Hopefully this SS will be every bit as dependable as my '95 was.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a 97 that I drove every single day, finally gave out at 269,XXX miles. Decided with that many miles wasn't worth rebuilding the engine. So sold it to a salvage yard for $200

In the same boat as you, just bought a 99 ws6. Had to replace a turn signal, will be doing tires next month, and last week somehow cracked the windshield. $240 to replace that, surprised me for how low that is.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I beat on mine like a rented mule and it never breaks.

Watch it blow up tomorrow

Quick Reply: Camaro reliability?