Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GMMG is hanging low

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My GMMG is hanging low

I have had my GMMG on the TA for over a year or so now and its hung low ever since had it put on. i always said i would get around to trying to fix it but i never have. The shop who installed my LTs and GMMG said that as it hangs now is just as tucked as they could get it, that it was just the way that the catback fit, and they couldnt get it tucked any better. Its bothering the hell out of me and i would like some input from anyone whos had the same problem regardless of the exhaust system. thanks! and a pic for reference...

the camera is on the ground in this pic, so you can tell the exhaust pipes are angled down drastically

i would like it to look similar to this...

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that would have been involved is bending the tailpipe hangers up a little bit when it was originally being installed. Why the exhaust shop didnt do that in the first place is beyond me...

Looks as though the tailpipes are welded on so it will be a bit more tricky now, but still doable.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Pushing the Over the axle pipe into to I pipe will allow it to bring the tips up where you want them. Mine did the same thing once.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tillery
Pushing the Over the axle pipe into to I pipe will allow it to bring the tips up where you want them. Mine did the same thing once.
Exactly, loosen all the clamps from the tips to the part that bends over the axle...moves the pipes to where you want them, and then tighten from the front of the car -> the tips.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it is welded to me?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GMMG is a 2 piece catback, the I-pipe, and the rear section. The tailpipes, over axel tube, mufflers, and Y-connection are all one piece to begin with. There's really no adjustability to it, unless maybe your I-pipe is too short or long somehow and it is "pushing" or "pulling" the rear section somehow.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

the whole exhaust setup is clamped together. I think i understand what some of you are suggesting, but from what the shop told me was that they tried everything. they are a very reputable shop around the area, but i just refuse to believe that it cant be easily fixed haha.

are you guys suggesting to unclamp the area circled and try to re-adjust the catback right there? thats about the only thing i could see that would work.

would it be crazy to take the catback off and then try to have the tail pipes "bent" slightly upward so when i re-install it the pipes will be tucked like i want?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

well what do you guys think?!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Im sure they can "fix" it. Even if it requires a cut in the area you have circled, then welded back together. My tips had sagged and I found a clamp in that area had loosened up. I jacked up the tips to where I wanted, and put in a couple welds.

Or cut the tips off, tilt up, and weld back on.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only possible issue I see with readjusting it where the I-pipe and over axle tube join together is that over axle tube might be pulled down, causing the pipe to hit the axle tube.
IMO, if the whole catback system is tucked up high close to the body, but from the tail pipes to the tips hang low, then have the shop cut the tail pipes off the ends of the mufflers, reposition them so the ends of the tips are at the desired height you want, then re-weld them.

Quick Reply: My GMMG is hanging low