PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 5.3 Silverado, pcm is locked

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bought a 5.3 Silverado, pcm is locked

Just bought a new daily and I was going to pull the tune to reduce some torque management and things and when I try to read the file it says the pcm is locked.

I tried the alt keys as well and it takes longer but then comes up with an error for bootloader.

Is there an easy way to get around this? I'm hoping the previous owner or the guy he bought it from have whatever crap handheld I'm assuming was used and can just pull the **** out.

Whatever it is, is not aggressive. Snap on scanner shows 21* timing at WOT, but the shifts are pretty firm and the truck is a little peppier than the other 5.3 I drove before buying this one.

I am using EFI Live
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Just bought a new daily and I was going to pull the tune to reduce some torque management and things and when I try to read the file it says the pcm is locked.

I tried the alt keys as well and it takes longer but then comes up with an error for bootloader.

Is there an easy way to get around this? I'm hoping the previous owner or the guy he bought it from have whatever crap handheld I'm assuming was used and can just pull the **** out.

Whatever it is, is not aggressive. Snap on scanner shows 21* timing at WOT, but the shifts are pretty firm and the truck is a little peppier than the other 5.3 I drove before buying this one.

I am using EFI Live
If you don't have any luck, try Googling Black Bear Tuning. He does custom tuning on the truck forum I've been on, and might have some advice.

Last edited by ShoddyHog; 06-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We offer a unlocking service for $75 + shipping. 1 day turn around
Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Wow...

Didn't realize there wasn't a way around it. Better off buying a new PCM it seems. Same price and the truck wouldn't be down for a week.

Maybe the guy can tell me who/what locked it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

What year Silverado is it?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's it cost to go to the dealer and have them flash the newest stock file in with a Tech 2?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

It's a 1999 5.3 single cab.

I talked to the previous owner and the guy who bought it new, both said it had not been tuned.

Any other way it could be locked or EFI live would think it's locked?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have the newest version of hp tuners?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

I would have a gm dealer reflash it for you. Should be around $50 to do. Then if it is locked you should be good to go.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
FormerVendor

I will reflash it to OE if it isn't locked for $25. If it is locked GM's TIS may not be able to reflash it.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Well on a whim I downloaded stock tunes to try to load over it but first had the idea to try to pull the tune again.

Instead of just running it as a 99+ Vortec pcm I started trying the others. The next one I tried was the 04+ LM7 pcm and that one did the trick.

The tune file said it was last modified in 2009 so I'm guessing one of the times it went it for repair the pcm was flashed to a newer version?

Either way, after that it was fine. Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone else has trouble.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Well on a whim I downloaded stock tunes to try to load over it but first had the idea to try to pull the tune again.

Instead of just running it as a 99+ Vortec pcm I started trying the others. The next one I tried was the 04+ LM7 pcm and that one did the trick.

The tune file said it was last modified in 2009 so I'm guessing one of the times it went it for repair the pcm was flashed to a newer version?

Either way, after that it was fine. Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone else has trouble.
Does EFILive give you the PCM Service number?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Most likely, I will have to look.

I'm curious about the truck, it had a K&N sticker on the airbox but a paper filter inside and it has a TB spacer on it. Also has tint and some aftermarket speakers in the doors. So a tune wasn't out of the question, but if it was tuned it wasn't very extensive...it all looks stock at first glance.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's a 1999 5.3 single cab.

I talked to the previous owner and the guy who bought it new, both said it had not been tuned.

Any other way it could be locked or EFI live would think it's locked?
Cool...glad you got it to accept a tune. I have a 2009 5.3, and have done a little with it.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Any tips on what these engine do and don't like for tuning?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any tips on what these engine do and don't like for tuning?
With the difference in years, it might be apples vs. oranges. I did the following:

Disabled AFM (I get better mileage without it)
Removed torque management
Pulled timing to make it a little more low octane friendly
Hand smoothed timing tables
Raised shift points
Removed speed limiter

I didn't do much for performance tuning...think is a Extended Cab, LOOOOOOONG bed, so it isn't like I'm going to be racing anyone. GTO is for fun.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tuned a lot of 5.3 trucks...I've had them react really well to VE and MAF calibration, shift point clean up, a little smoothing in the timing tables, and some PE table work to command a little less fuel. The one's I've tuned, the owners wanted to run 93 octane, and with tuning I've been able to give them a pretty good bump in MPG.

If it drives like most of the other 5.3 trucks/SUV's I've tuned did stock...you'll make it feel a LOT more alive with some part throttle shift point tuning and torque management reduction.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
If it drives like most of the other 5.3 trucks/SUV's I've tuned did stock...you'll make it feel a LOT more alive with some part throttle shift point tuning and torque management reduction.
Amen to that.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is actually very responsive to part throttle shifts and all the downshift parameters feel good. I was surprised.

I did delete TM and the speed limiter.

I'd prefer to not have to run premium fuel since it's more of a daily than a toy. But I was considering trying to bump timing a little in the high octane table so that it might run a little better but still have the low octane table to mix in to keep it safe.

I'm very new to actual tuning. I do have a wideband just haven't messed with it yet. Keep waiting for the dumb EFI Live book to come out and it keeps getting pushed back it seems.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is actually very responsive to part throttle shifts and all the downshift parameters feel good. I was surprised.

I did delete TM and the speed limiter.

I'd prefer to not have to run premium fuel since it's more of a daily than a toy. But I was considering trying to bump timing a little in the high octane table so that it might run a little better but still have the low octane table to mix in to keep it safe.

I'm very new to actual tuning. I do have a wideband just haven't messed with it yet. Keep waiting for the dumb EFI Live book to come out and it keeps getting pushed back it seems.
Same here...my truck will haul stuff occasionally, but is mostly my DD. The first log, I about **** myself at how much KR it had with the stock tune. I mellowed the timing out, and found it ran better, smoother, and got better mileage with me pulling a couple degrees vs the computer pulling 5 degrees anytime I did more than just touched the throttle.

FWIW, I also run Amsoil 5-30 in it, and just did a Blackstone labs test on a 5,000 mile run. It got a stellar report, and I'll be extending it to 7,000 miles this time...hoping to go 10,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 5.3 Silverado, pcm is locked