Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Brakelight Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakelight Wiring Harness

So I have an issue with my tailights on my 97 camaro. When you first turn on the car and press the brakes, all the brakelights work great. But after that, and when your driving around the brakelights are very dim. I have actually had people tell me my lights dim when I hit the brakes. I did some searching and read some other posts and a lot of people said that if you switch to a 98+ wiring harness for the brakelights it will solve the problem

Does anybody know if this is true? And also, there is a 98 Camaro in the closest junkyard, but how is the best way to remove the harness? Do I have to cut all the wires?

Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

personally id check ur grounds.........sounds like a ground issue
Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

97 and 98 Camaro taillights were wired quite differently. 97 had all red so the brake lights and turn signals ran on the same wiring and bulbs. 98 had separate amber turn signals. The two harnesses are not interchangeable without making other changes to separate the turn signals from the brake lights.

And quik95lt1 is correct - it does sound very much like a ground issue.