Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's the driveability with a MS4 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the driveability with a MS4 cam?

I've got a six speed. My buddy is running the MS3 and his surges a little. I just picked up the car a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to decide what direction to go with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends a lot on your tune and the supporting modifications of the car. Ideally for a cam that large you want to have a 4.10 gear ratio in the rear end to pick up the lower end of the cam. We have a number of customers who daily drive the cam, you just need to remember it is not the stock cam and does not retain the same low end power. It may buck a little at very low speeds, but with a good tune it is still very drivable.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
It depends a lot on your tune and the supporting modifications of the car. Ideally for a cam that large you want to have a 4.10 gear ratio in the rear end to pick up the lower end of the cam. We have a number of customers who daily drive the cam, you just need to remember it is not the stock cam and does not retain the same low end power. It may buck a little at very low speeds, but with a good tune it is still very drivable.
I'm having 4.10's installed in the next week. Do I need to fly cut my pistons?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm running the MS4 with a set of PRC 215s milled to 60cc. On stock heads I don't think you have to flycut. I'm running a mail order tune and I think the driveabliltiy is very good for a cam its size. A little bucking somewhere between 40 and 50 ish but other than that its pretty tame. It is kind of soft down low but it starts picking up around 4k and from 5k on it pulls like a freight train.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Stock heads, no flycut necessary, but still don't hurt to chk. My drivability is pretty good, with the common surge at times.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ When does it surge for you?

Quick Reply: How's the driveability with a MS4 cam?