PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic/datalogging software?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagnostic/datalogging software?

Is there any OBD2 diagnostics or datalogging software available for laptops thats not crazy expensive?? I'm thinking having the ability to view live data on the fly, and datalog for tuning purposes??
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our scanner/editor/hardware packages start at $499
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kendogg
Is there any OBD2 diagnostics or datalogging software available for laptops thats not crazy expensive?? I'm thinking having the ability to view live data on the fly, and datalog for tuning purposes??
You can use one of our Predators or a Trinity tuner to live stream and record data to your PC, they're pretty cheap too, and the software is free, check it out here:
http://www.diablosport.com/CMR/softw...er_3.3.0.8.exe

Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What will you be using to tune with...?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Apparently one of these will work, and there is a whole host of free software available for them. Multiple protocol as well, so it'll pull factory codes & stream live data from multiple kinds of different vehicles, not just OBD2 generic. There are bluetooth adapters available for it as well, and a host of Android aps compatible with the elm327 hardware.

Last edited by Patrick G; 07-17-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
What will you be using to tune with...?

Haven't decided on a tuning solution. Most likely I'll end up having to pay a local dyno tuner to tune it. Kinda pissed that the free tuning software editors that were available even 2-3 years ago are all gone now, nowhere to be found. I more want this for DTC's, verify live data, verify the tune, etc.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't decided on a tuning solution. Most likely I'll end up having to pay a local dyno tuner to tune it. Kinda pissed that the free tuning software editors that were available even 2-3 years ago are all gone now, nowhere to be found. I more want this for DTC's, verify live data, verify the tune, etc.
Which ones...?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
Which ones...?

No idea, I'm from BMW land that is REALLY limited in tuning (except I'm personal friends with arguably the best BMW tuner in the country, so that was never a problem for me personally), but I used to have a few friends with software tuning tools, and nobody seems to have any anymore, they've been lost/updated, etc., or just lost touch with people who had something. That, and I've read some rumors of HPT and possibly others purchasing or shutting down via other methods any DIY tuning information that used to be available on the net. I've been asking questions here mostly due to my own laziness, I don't want to have to disassemble an ECU, find things like MAF transfer functions, idle maps, etc. from other ECU's since I'm converting from DBW, write definition files, or reverse engineer an already available tuning software solution for a 1-time tune. Waste of my time. I'm willing to pay, but $650+ for a one-time solution is a bit much for the land of chevrolet, the supposed land of abundant and cheap power. $650 gets average joe a custom BMW tune, which are supposedly god-aweful expensive to make power with comparatively. I'm having a hard time finding the 'budget' power adders. Hell, even cams for the LS are $400-up.

Last edited by kendogg; 06-28-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Also thinking about potentially buying a bluetooth setup with one of the Elm327 interfaces. See whats available for Android software, and either adapt, or write something to work with my phone, or an Android tablet. At least this way if I can get a base tune, I can watch fuel trims and see if it knocks at all. I've never played with any of the GM stuff, but there is some GM-specific freeware out there for the Elm interfaces, so it would be interesting to see just how much live data I can view or record.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Software that displays generic OBD-II scanning is pretty much free... if you want the enhanced ODB-II scannning/logging then you have to pay more... if you want tuning software you have to pay even more.

[ you will be disappointed with logging from your phone ]

You say you don't want to dig thru an ECM to reverse engineer tables, your time is valuable... someone else has already done the work for you and they charge only $650, which is fairly cheap considering what the tuning software can allow you to do...

Can you think of a mod (or rather a set of mods) that total only $650...?

(A cam is $300, but you need supporting parts like lifters, rockers, pushrods, timing chain, gaskets, etc... it ends up costing more than $650).

If you piecemeal a scanner/logger, an editor, and a flasher together, it will cost you more, you will have poor results, and you will be missing some builtin tools. Tuners used to piecemeal together AutoTap, Excel and LS1edit more than 10 years ago... now they use HPTuners, EFILive, TunerCat which allow you to log/analyze/correct/edit/flash all in a single tool package (for example the EFILive scanner links its log chart cursor to the X/Y axis of the table you're viewing in the editor).

Someone has already done the tedious work and made it available for a bargain price.

Last edited by joecar; 06-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

but $650+ for a one-time solution is a bit much for the land of chevrolet, the supposed land of abundant and cheap power.
$650 gets you tuning software package (scan/log/edit/flash)... it's not a one-time solution like your $650 BMW tune.

Chevrolet is the land of abundant/cheap power... with the exception of Ford all other brands cost significantly more to make power.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Well, I ordered one of these the other day:

Downloaded a couple software programs for it the other night to play with, we'll see how well it works when it gets here. I don't envision any issues. Cheap datalogging/live data streaming/DTC device. I'll report back once I get it and see how well it's working.

Last edited by Patrick G; 07-17-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the info

[QUOTE=kendogg;15082679]Apparently one of these will work, and there is a whole host of free software available for them. Multiple protocol as well, so it'll pull factory codes & stream live data from multiple kinds of different vehicles, not just OBD2 generic. There are bluetooth adapters available for it as well, and a host of Android aps compatible with the elm327 hardware.

Thanks for the info sir, it was interesting information.

Last edited by Patrick G; 07-17-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 07-17-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I'm glad I found this thread. I was wondering basically the same thing. I know my tune needs to be gone through again but in the mean time I was wanting something I could look at whats going on. Mainly for educational purposes.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Well, I ordered one of these the other day:

Downloaded a couple software programs for it the other night to play with, we'll see how well it works when it gets here. I don't envision any issues. Cheap datalogging/live data streaming/DTC device. I'll report back once I get it and see how well it's working.

Have you got a chance to use it yet? Do you like it?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Have you got a chance to use it yet? Do you like it?

Not yet. I think it JUST got here today. Got the orange card in the mail..... Everytime I get something from Asia, I have to go to the damn post office to get it :/ Hell, my car doesn't even run yet anyways, hopefully by next weekend it will
Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

My ELM327 adapter showed up about a week ago. Finally got the car together enough today to test it out. Works great, have been having a hard time finding diag freeware, but I think I've got something working. I'll post back when I have something thats for sure working. Don't be afraid guys, there is NO reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a generic OBD2 datalogger, it can all be had for a paultry $15 interface. Granted, some of the paid software packages ARE nice - but, most of us just simply don't need it. I tried to play with the Palmer ScanXL today,. but the demo version won't let me actually confirm anything, so, they can keep that too.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Apparently one of these will work, and there is a whole host of free software available for them. Multiple protocol as well, so it'll pull factory codes & stream live data from multiple kinds of different vehicles, not just OBD2 generic. There are bluetooth adapters available for it as well, and a host of Android aps compatible with the elm327 hardware.

Wow, I just saw the link was removed from this post. Thats ridiculous, LOL. The sponsors sure have you guys tied up...............

For anybody else reading, perhaps this won't be deleted - go find the cheapest Elm327 adapter you can find. Mine was $15 shipped, directly from China. I'd be more than happy to provide the link to the reliable china-mart website where I purchased it. And it's USB too, not serial.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of the carpc guys use a simple data logging sw just to see whats going on. not to tune, or edit what they have. so if you go on sites like mp3car they have some OBD devices (ELM327) and cheap-expensive sw as well.

I am also looking for just a data logging software as i have no intentions to tune or edit my tune. just want to ability to log and send info to my tuner so they can see whats going on.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cookba
a lot of the carpc guys use a simple data logging sw just to see whats going on. not to tune, or edit what they have. so if you go on sites like mp3car they have some OBD devices (ELM327) and cheap-expensive sw as well.

I am also looking for just a data logging software as i have no intentions to tune or edit my tune. just want to ability to log and send info to my tuner so they can see whats going on.

Then all you need is one of the Elm 327 interfaces like I bought ($15), and a piece of datalogging software! Thats all I wanted too. The info from the live data streaming can be used to tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnostic/datalogging software?