General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise Control gurus............question

Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Cruise Control gurus............question

Whats the most common thing to make these systems non-fuctional?

Mine will set and hold a speed......but then it will very slowly start to slow down. Also, when I am on cruise control.....then I hit the accelerate button, it will accelerate till I let it go, but then it will fall right back down to where it was, then again slowly start to slow down. It cannot hold speed.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I've never played with the control on my firebird, but on other GM cars, I've had this happen with a bad vacuum at the solenoid.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm totally missing something (which isn't uncommon), the cruise control is run all electronically and not by vacuum. It's the signal from the VSS that the cruise control module uses to adjust the throttle.

I wonder if it's possible that your stepper motor (that controls the cruise cable connected to the throttle body) is going bad? I don't know how to check that though...

I just read some more stuff and it says that the cruise control is supposed to be able to accelerate and decelerate by increments of 1mph. On my cruise control i have the option to accelerate, but I have yet to figure out how to decelerate by 1 mph increments. I've only been able to turn it off and then "set cruise" at a lower velocity...
For your situation it sounds like the "decel" signal is being continually sent to the cruise control module.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
I have yet to figure out how to decelerate by 1 mph increments.
You just hold in the set button and it will continually decelerate until you let go. The incremental feature only works with acceleration.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! I just now found that out on the way driving home. I thought "Hmm...there are only so many buttons to press. Lets hit this one again." It will incrementally decrease if you just push the set button instead of holding it (after setting cruise of course).

To the OP, perhaps your "set" button is sticking or something, so it keeps sending a signal to the CCM telling it to slow down.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
You just hold in the set button and it will continually decelerate until you let go. The incremental feature only works with acceleration.
After you set the cruise, the incremental feature works for both speeding up and slowing down. Just tap the Resume for+1MPH, and tap Set for -1MPH.

But I thought regardless of a 3/4 channel car, the cruise control hooked up to the vacuum container in the fender?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control gurus............question