Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Possibly buying a camaro that hasn't been driven in 7 years .. questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a camaro that hasn't been driven in 7 years .. questions...

I am considering buying an iroc with the zz-4 motor and a p600 procharger. The rear end went out 7 years ago and has only been started up from time to time and has sat in a garage all this time. Is there anything to worry about when buying something like this?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Man, I knew someone who did that, it was a 300zx that wasn't driven in about 5 years I think. Apart from tune up and stuff, lot of rusted parts had to be swapped out, lotta cleaning. It was definitely an involving project. But then again it depends. Obviously you gotta look at this one reeeeeally carefully before you buy it.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Teching In

interesting - the rusted parts - was it due to being outside for a long time I assume?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 11SecVette
interesting - the rusted parts - was it due to being outside for a long time I assume?
More than likely. Has this car been garaged while sitting?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Teching In

yes it has
Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

I really wouldnt hesitate too much. Make sure to check wiring and other parts of the car for signs of rodents (chewed wiring, etc).
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubber parts mostly to worry about. Tires, hoses. Wires too, rats like to eat wire.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

When I picked up my DeLorean, it hadn't been ran in twenty years. Replaced the fuel system and was on my way. Still on the 1981 radiator hoses and belts. The last two third gens I bought had been sitting outside for a little under ten years. One came back to life with new fuel and a battery.... Unless it's by the beach or in a field, seven years is nothing.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the fuel system is definitely something to address since the car is forced induction and has sat for so long.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Generally speaking, when you store a vehicle for that long a period of time, you should have a gas additive (stabil) to your tank,, change oil to straight 90W, start vehicle for <1min., pull the battery and sparkplugs.

The straight 90W oil acts as a preservation liquid while the vehicle is in storage.

If some or none of these things have been done, I would pass on the vehicle.

SteveC
Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think rust (besides the cooling system with an iron block) isn't much of an issue here in Socal, unless you're close to the coast or something. My VR-4 has been sitting for the past 6 years now outside, although I do cover it mostly, and it shows no signs of rust.

Speaking of cooling systems though with aluminum (heads and thermostat housing in this case) is corrosion from the antifreeze, so give it a really good flush.

Otherwise, besides the gas quality (flush the lines, replace filter), things like ALL the fluids should be changed (not just because fluid has sat, but moisture), lube the chassis if it has zerks on the tie rods, etc. and plan on changing the tires. Wouldn't hurt to also replace hoses and belts, too.

My biggest concern would be the engine oil though. Before starting it up, drain it and perhaps pull the valve covers and pour some oil there and squirt some into the combustion chambers (pull plugs) and then use one of those tools that attach to your drill and spin the pump thru the distributor gear (you pull the dist; mark where the rotor is pointing, but since you don't know history, I'd locate #1 TDC and align it that way when you're done priming it)...

If animals (mice, etc.) didn't get to the wiring, then you'll probably be alright there. I'd plan on getting a new battery too.

When you do get it running, start off slow and gradually get the car going to speed and distance, just to be sure everything is good, before long treks, getting on it, etc...

IIRC, prochargers have their own lubrication, right? Not sure what they use, but plan on changing that too...Too much $$ to take a chance, IMO.

Finally, does this have T-tops? May want to check to see if they were leaking (if it sat outside) and created an issue under the carpet with mold/mildew and/or rust there...

[EDIT - oh, sounds like it was garaged, so that's good; especially for the paint...I'd still do most all of the above and what others have mentioned, but being garaged helps a lot!]

Last edited by JNR_Design; 06-26-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No way I would buy it.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Teching In

yeah it is sitting in a garage - the fuel pump went out 3 months ago, so all fluids were drained already. The supercharger is a p600b so I think they actually tap that into the oil pan or something.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying a camaro that hasn't been driven in 7 years .. questions...