Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-Bolt/Timken Green Axle Bearing Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange 12-Bolt/Timken Green Axle Bearing Grease?

I'm getting ready to press the bearings on to new axles in my Strange 12-bolt. The bearings are the tapered Strange A1013 (Timken) which have an external grease seal.

The bearings come pre-greased with some type of green bearing grease, and the instructions say to not wipe it off. Maybe they say this to keep people from putting them in dry?

My housing ends have grease fittings, so I would like to be able to grease the bearings in the future with the same type of grease.

I haven't been able to find any Timken green wheel bearing grease. The only thing I can find is for electric motors, alternators, etc.

I'd guess my best bet is to clean the bearings completely and use a more readily available wheel bearing grease, rather than mix & match.

I'm no novice, but wasn't quite sure what is so special about this green stuff they pre-lube their bearings with but isn't in their product line.

Whenever I think about calling Strange to ask it's already the weekend, so I figured I'd check here first.

Any ideas as to what I should use for grease?

Quick Reply: Strange 12-Bolt/Timken Green Axle Bearing Grease?