LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about flushing out my cooling system.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about flushing out my cooling system.

Tomorrow's agenda is replacing my thermostat, throttle body bypass, and flushing the cooling system.

First I know to take old tstat out, install housing back on, put hose in the radiator with the drain plug out and let the car run until completely clear. The questions are 1. once it's cleared can i shut the hose off and allow the car to run very briefly to get any remaining water out, or does this not help at all? This leads to 2. Will there be water remaining in the block, and if so will that hurt anything after installing new coolant?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do/did mine a bit differently. So long as you are using JUST WATER, it wont matter if a little is left in the block or not. If you decide to try and run it all out there is a chance it could cause problems. Either way it isnt really worth getting every last drop out.

i bought one of those nozzles that fit on the end of the hose and you twist it to make it go from like a pressure washer to a soft dispersed flow. It is only like 5/8 round and it works extremely well as I plug it into the various hoses and run it full blast until I see clear water and then fill it all up idle it and let it all drtain and then fill it back up with coolant. I was able to get a shitload of sludge out of the radiator. It was so thick when I took out the drain plug nothing came out and I had to use a screwdriver to coax it out. Car runs considerably cooler now too!

Search this Thread