Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I need help with auto to manual swap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with auto to manual swap!

I have a 99 ws6 auto and i threw a rod about a month ago. Well, long story short i figured i would swap to manual t56 while i was in there... I ended up finding a 2001 firehawk ls1 and 6 speed with low miles... complete drop out... I guess my question is what all do i need to convert to a manual transmission? I have the basics: t56, crossmember, pedal assembly, master cylinder, computer, and wiring harness in the engine bay. Is there another wiring assembly i need to purchase under the dash for say the pedal assembly? or can my dash harness be altered. thanks for any help.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any help
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Read the stickie in the manual trans section, Everything you need to know is in there.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not going to be a fun or strait swap but a lot of guys have done it. Search and you will find

And if that fails
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1okie
Read the stickie in the manual trans section, Everything you need to know is in there.
I found the stickie in the manual section... It helped but i still am wondering how to do the underdash wiring with out cover up the problem.... what does it take to make it like stock . such as the neutral safety switch... i dont wanna just cross the wires and just route out the switch.. how do i do it like stock thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk68mcleod
I found the stickie in the manual section... It helped but i still am wondering how to do the underdash wiring with out cover up the problem.... what does it take to make it like stock . such as the neutral safety switch... i dont wanna just cross the wires and just route out the switch.. how do i do it like stock thanks
Moving to Manual Transmission Forum so you'll hopefully get more help...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firehawk68mcleod
search for posts by the merv, he's posted writeups on all the wiring in multiple places. the stickies also have pictures and writeups showing which colors to connect to which colors and everything
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-get-here.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...on-wiring.html

and if you need pics:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/974053/1277257
Old 07-03-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

i deleted my skip shift solonoid, my reverse lockout solonoid. and my clutch safety switch in my case i didn't need them and i just used my revese lights and speedo off transmission. i found most of my info right here there is an abundance of knowledge on this site . i went with a monster stage 2 from tic performance and never looked back awesome products!!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you have the T56 PCM and wiring harness then you should just need to do a few things to the dash harness. I believe you will have to extend some wires to the clutch pedal, take out the old auto park lockout switch thing, and there are a few wires under the console you will have to rewire I believe also. Hopefully someone that has done this will chime in but those links should help a lot. Keep in mind that those links do NOT have the T56 PCM and wiring harness though so there are a few things that you will not have to do that they did.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

oops I didn't see he had the whole harness, rewiring the auto harness is so easy though I would just do it that way and sell the harness for extra $$
Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Teching In

firehawk68mcleod,
Did you ever go through with your auto to manual conversion on that 99 WS6 you had? I'm getting ready to do the same thing and had some questions for you if you did.

The questions I have are specific to the mounting of the clutch pedal assembly and the hole for the manual shifter.

Did you have to cut a whole for the clutch pedal assembly or was there already a hole there with a blank plate over it?

Also, did you have to cut a whole for the manual shifter stick?
I have heard a couple of different takes on this. I have been told that there should be a plate that can be removed to open up the whole for the shifter stick but then I also hear that the hole needs to be manually cut out since it doesn't exist.

Any information that anyone can provide will be helpful.

Quick Reply: I need help with auto to manual swap!