New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between front and rear O2 sensors?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between front and rear O2 sensors?

Is there any difference between them? The only differences I could tell were the wire lengths.
I'm putting in LTs and deleting the rear O2s from the system, so are they useless now? or could i use them for the front if I needed?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

They are different, the front O2s are used by the ecm to measure the fuel/air in the exhaust to aid in tuning the engine to the right fuel/air mixture when it is running, for example if the engine is running rich, the front O2s will notice that and the ecm will adjust the injectors to compensate. The rear O2s are just there to make sure the cats are working, when you put long tubes in like you are you have two options. You can get the rear O2 codes tuned out of your ecm which will keep the SES light from coming on and not letting you pass emissions. The second option you have is to use O2 sensor simulators, which basically trick the ecm into thinking the rear O2s are working properly. Depending on where you live, they may have visual inspections at the emission test, so I would check that before you through in long tubes, if you don’t have it then the two options I said will work fine. And to answer your question, you can not use the rear O2s to take the place of the front ones. If you do install long tubes, you will need to get O2 extensions in order for the front O2s to reach the bungs in the long tube headers. Hope this helped and good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big&Tasty TA
They are different, the front O2s are used by the ecm to measure the fuel/air in the exhaust to aid in tuning the engine to the right fuel/air mixture when it is running, for example if the engine is running rich, the front O2s will notice that and the ecm will adjust the injectors to compensate. The rear O2s are just there to make sure the cats are working, when you put long tubes in like you are you have two options. You can get the rear O2 codes tuned out of your ecm which will keep the SES light from coming on and not letting you pass emissions. The second option you have is to use O2 sensor simulators, which basically trick the ecm into thinking the rear O2s are working properly. Depending on where you live, they may have visual inspections at the emission test, so I would check that before you through in long tubes, if you don’t have it then the two options I said will work fine. And to answer your question, you can not use the rear O2s to take the place of the front ones. If you do install long tubes, you will need to get O2 extensions in order for the front O2s to reach the bungs in the long tube headers. Hope this helped and good luck.
I think he means if the actual sensors, as a part, not as a function, work the same. What you said is correct but I do not think its what the OP was asking.

Anyway I honestly do not know the answer to that and am curious myself. I ended up throwing my rear o2's away thinking they were useless... but now I wonder if they would work if you plugged em in the front with the front harness. I want to say they are the same, because in my old car I ran vette rear o2's in my front... so if vettes the same i'd imagine so are f-bodys? Idk.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

you are right OP. length is the only difference. you can use them no problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
you are right OP. length is the only difference. you can use them no problem.
Correct for the most part. The rear O2's are heated but they still function the same so you can use them for the front. If you wanted to spend a little more you could get the vette O2's which have a much faster switch rate making them more accurate but thats not a big deal unless your car is heavily modded.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

^ thx for the correction. id buy the vettes instead of buying extensions. i reused mine and they have errors and crap..
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
^ thx for the correction. id buy the vettes instead of buying extensions. i reused mine and they have errors and crap..
Agreed. I had the same problem with my previous car. Had error codes until my tuner got ahold of it and straightened everything out.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 AM

will my car run bad if i dont get it tuned out or with 02 sims from the rear 02 sensors being unhooked
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wilsoncj
will my car run bad if i dont get it tuned out or with 02 sims from the rear 02 sensors being unhooked
Your car will run the same, but don't be surprised if the sims don't work and you get a service engine light. You should really get a tune when you can with the rear O2s deleted in your computer. A mail order tune is cheap and will better fuel your motor with the headers and off road y pipe. This will make a great difference in the way your car runs, to the good side though. People always do mods with out properly supporting them and it ends costing them more in the long run.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 AM

so i really dont got nothing worry about nothing besides the ses light from where they are not reading?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsoncj
so i really dont got nothing worry about nothing besides the ses light from where they are not reading?
This is correct, of the rear O2s
Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JustinT
Your car will run the same, but don't be surprised if the sims don't work and you get a service engine light. You should really get a tune when you can with the rear O2s deleted in your computer. A mail order tune is cheap and will better fuel your motor with the headers and off road y pipe. This will make a great difference in the way your car runs, to the good side though. People always do mods with out properly supporting them and it ends costing them more in the long run.
Where is a good place to get a mail order tune?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Frost
Old 04-23-2016, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info, i had the same question. RockAuto has a diff part # for Denso Upstream right (4087) than the other three Denso (4025). I was a bit confused; anyways great info in this old thread. Bump for the next guy
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Ancient thread, but since it's back....

Originally Posted by JustinT
Your car will run the same, but don't be surprised if the sims don't work and you get a service engine light.
I've used sims in many LS1 applications, both early and late PCMs, and they've always worked just fine to keep the SES light away for me. If you still get a light for the cats/rear O2s, then the sim is damaged. Only issue I've ever seen is that the "heated O2" readiness test won't complete with sims. This may or may not be an issue depending on local testing requirements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between front and rear O2 sensors?