Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear camber/alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels/tires)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear camber/alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels/tires)

Hey folks. I've recently lowered my V with H&R springs and also put some new wheels and tires on 'er. Wheel & tire specs are 19x8.5 with 245/40's front and 19x10 with 275/35's rear. Now I had a few hiccups with stuffing these wheels in the back, so I should make mention that I wound up replacing the rear H&R's with cut OEM springs in order to gain a little height back in the rear, so the tires wouldn't get chewed up by the fender lip.

Anyway, I'll be installing my MAP trailing arms tomorrow (hopefully) and then getting an alignment done shortly there after. My concern with an alignment is that I'd like some of the negative camber removed from the rear (it looks pretty severe right now) but I'm afraid that by doing that, the top of the wheel/tire will get pushed "outwards" towards the fender lip. Is this the case, or is there another way to adjust for camber that wont cause this? Or am I stuck with what I've got?

Those of you with a similar setup; do you have any other suggestions or comments regarding aligning this?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Launching!

I think you're gonna need to get your fenders rolled either way. Getting some extra height in the back suspension will keep the edges of your tires away from the fender lip MOST of the time, but when you go over bumps and dips it will probably still make contact. So the extra ride height isnt really a solution, and could barely even be considered a bandaid. Basically you need to do whatever it takes to make sure the wheel does not contact your fender through it's entire range of travel. Best way to get fender lip/tire clearance is rolling them.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Edmund. I've tested the car pretty good (sharp bumps, big dips, hard on/off ramps) and I haven't had any more contact with the fenders at the new ride height. My idea is that the extra 1/2 inch of height gives the tire more room to 'tuck' when the suspension reaches full compression ... that's just a VERY basic train of thought though. I was hoping the KISS principal would apply. hahaha

What are your thoughts on the camber adjustment and it's effects on tire to fender contact?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I meant to add that I do plan to roll the fenders sometime. Mine are somehow already partially rolled, but only to the 3 o'clock passenger side position and 9 o'clock driver's side position. So I really only need to roll about 3 inches of the lip on each side.
Unfortunately that might take a while to do because NO shops around here have the tool and most aren't comfortable or interested in doing the job. I had one shop say they'd do it with a hammer and towel for the cost of... Get this... $170 a fender. So, I'm waiting on a) finding a tool to rent, and b) the proper hub adapter to work with our lug pattern. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Rear camber/alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels/tires)