Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Issue after gear install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issue after gear install

I've got a strange issue after installing 3.73s. On the right rear on left turns I've noticed a grinding sound and the wheel has a little more than normal brake dust/rust. The gears were installed by my father-in-law and were done properly. There's no unusual whine or anything else. The noise goes away turning right and going straight. I pulled the wheel off and found that the caliper bracket is rubbing the rotor on left turns. My conclusion is that the axle is further out because of the gear change.

What reasons could this be from? Are Motive gears thicker than GM by a shim? Did we add a shim that wasn't there before? I know they are set up right because they have a very slight howl at 45 but otherwise are dead quiet. No vibration or noise otherwise. The pattern was good as well. If that's the only issues, I'm gonna take a grinder to the area its hitting. Its just the bottom outside ears on the bracket and if I take a little more than the paint off it'll cure it. I just want to make sure there's nothing bigger. Thanks!

Last edited by ncsu602; 06-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to add it's not the c-clip. With all the brakes off the axle is secure.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update: Fixed the issue. The carrier was shimmed to the passenger side by a shim moreso than it was originally. Not sure why, the gears are spot on perfect. Took a grinder to the bracket and took a few thousandths off and put new brake pads (not on wear bars yet) and cured it. After looking around the internet a while, I found that it's common enough that GM has a shim kit that mounts between the axle and backing plate.