Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Rich/Car is missing after tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rich/Car is missing after tune

*************PROBLEM SOLVED SEE BELOW**************************

Need some help:

LT/ORY install went great, new poly MMs as well. Car drove fine after the install and I drove maybe 50 miles untuned with my SES from the rear O2s.

Send the PCM out for a tune, get it back, install and fire the car up.

Car seems to run great, but the more I drive it the smell of unburnt gas/running rich and a little blue smoke is overwhelming. Well today the car sounds like it has a small misfire, just a little bit. Checked the plugs and wires and they are good. Here is my concern:

I had the AIR deleted in my PCM, but left it hooked up to the headers. The air pump doesnt prime or run anymore...do I have a big vac leak now that it is out of the PCM?? Car is just acting like a vac leak, where it progressively gets worse (missing, stumbling, running super rich). Do I need to block off my AIR going into the headers? Is it leaking air into the headers and then being misread by the O2 sensors?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by TImmy_Jones; 06-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a dry air filter, no oil on it, so the MAF is clean.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found the problem....installer of the headers ran the O2 extension right ONTO the headers, whole thing/clip/extension melted right through.

Makes perfect sense, when the car is cold and in (I think its called closed loop) it runs fine, when it warms up and starts to use the O2s on the headers it misfires, backfires, etc.

Called my installer to see if we can work something out. Hope he calls back and offers to help.

Going to have to run all new wires and ditch the factory clip. This sucks. I would fix it, but if he is going to I am not going to mess with anything.

Quick Reply: Running Rich/Car is missing after tune