General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors...

I installed Long tubes, ORY, and GMMG. I only have front O2 sensors. I keep getting different info from different people, and I don't know what's legit. Do the rear O2s give me my Long Term Fuel Trim or do they just monitor the life of the cat? I remember being told on ls1tech that it is ok to run just the fronts. The guys at work are telling me I have to buy weld-in O2 bungs, and put them in. Other guys tell me I should buy O2 dummies. Who knows what they are talking about?

Right now my STFT and LTFT are pinned at 128 on my scanner. Accordingly, my car is running rich. I have new O2 sensors in, but they aren't crosscounting, or doing much at all.

When I first installed everything it ran great. It's been down for a long long time, and I'm trying to get it running strong again.

I just got a MAP/BARO code, that could be my whole problem. I'll address that ASAP.

It's also hard to start. and I have to wait about 10 seconds for the computer to adjust my idle before I take off or my RPMS will shoot up to about 1500-2000 everytime I push the clutch in. Does anybody know what exactly the computer wants to see before it will start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for the fix, because I may have several problems. Just trying to get some good info before I dive into the thing. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Also, I am stuck in open loop. Coolant temp is okay. Do I need the rear O2s for CL?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

You don't need the rear 02s... period. How ever you need to get them tuned out and get a tune in general if you just did all that exhaust work and aren't going any further.

But anyway, can you post a video of that set up!? I've been debating what catback to go with my lt's and ory. How do you like your's? Is there rasp?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

I can. tomorrow. You won't have any regrets going with the GMMG. It sounds awesome WOT. I get compliments everywhere I go...

Last edited by junkindatrunkmx6; 06-26-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! The GM factory service manual states that the rear O2's are used in the fuel calculations. (They definitely don't have a large influence, though.) Obviously, if you tune them out, that will fool the car in to thinking they are there and happy.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by junkindatrunkmx6
I can. tomorrow. You won't have any regrets going with the GMMG. It sounds awesome WOT. I get compliments everywhere I go...
Today is tomorrow, Tomorrow is today!!!
So no rasp with that setup? How's the idle?

Originally Posted by wssix99
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! The GM factory service manual states that the rear O2's are used in the fuel calculations. (They definitely don't have a large influence, though.) Obviously, if you tune them out, that will fool the car in to thinking they are there and happy.
So IF they were messing anything up, the tune will 100% eliminate them as causing a problem. I was always under the impression though they could never effect anything to the point of actually noticing it, As far as just an exhaust swap.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I doubt that the missing O2 sensors are messing anything up other than giving you a code and/or reporting that your catalyst is bad. If the GM Factory manual is correct, I'd guess that they would help in fine tuning the mix so the catalytic converter will be happiest. The first set of sensors should play a (by far) dominant role in the calculations.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup as you: Longtubes, ORY, and GMMG's. I bought two o2 sims for the rear because there weren't any good tuners in my area. They took care of my check engine light and I'm getting really good mileage and power with just the front o2's. If it's going to be a pain in your ***, you can get away with throwing some sims on there and just making sure your front sensors are legit.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Gallstaff do you have exhaust videos !?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Gallstaff do you have exhaust videos !?
I could certainly get some for you tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Only been running front 02s, got the rear 02s tuned out 5 years ago, car still running good. Just be prepared to change the front 02s at about every 20,000 miles, at least that's what I get out of these Bosch ones. Real easy to change them out with the right 02 sensor socket tool. The driver's side electrical connector is a bit of a squeeze to get to.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Please do !
Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. I swapped my map sensor, and my O2s are new. Anybody know why my car won't go into closed loop? Or why my O2s aren't cross counting? I could really use some help here.