LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Not my day, car wont start after disconnecting battery & TB bypass ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not my day, car wont start after disconnecting battery & TB bypass ?

Yup WTF? anyone. I can post a video of it not starting if that helps. My day was doing the throttle body bypass, changing out the coolant sensor only to find the new one leaks so i cleaned up the old and threw that back in and now... the bitch doesn't start, keeps cranking but wont turn over. Charge is good, thought maybe i ran outa gas i know the gauge is off, 2 gallons later still nothing. I know i'm probably leaving something out. VATS light is ALWAYS on hasn't given me a problem in 3+ months. idk

Someone help, literally i can't even look at her at the moment.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this the first time you've disconnected the battery? Have you checked for codes? Checked for fuel/spark? It could be vats related.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Battery has been disconnected before. Gonna check for codes soon.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

If it Is vats will it throw a code related to tell me ?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your coil wire, i bet it got removed after playing around that area.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Did any of the coolant spill around the opti when you did the bypass? I am having similar problems at the moment. Cranks and sputters but wont start. GL
Old 06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
Check your coil wire, i bet it got removed after playing around that area.
Hate to be a noob but i am on this subject, is this the area you're talking about? Looked it up on shbox's site. Everything looks plugged in, just looks like it's sitting off where it should be but still all hooked up.

Originally Posted by ebeard
Did any of the coolant spill around the opti when you did the bypass? I am having similar problems at the moment. Cranks and sputters but wont start. GL
I had rags / paper towels under everything, little spilled as it was and doubt any of it passed the towels. I don't know what the issue is. That being said the first time i bleed the cooling system i didn't know i needed rags under those bleeder valves opti is still holding strong knock on wood
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The vats codes are DTC 46 or P1626 depending on the year. You should go back and make sure everything is hooked up it might be something simple.

Last edited by riceburnerZ28; 06-26-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Code throwing is P1371 Distributor Ignition (DI)

So that's either the opti or harness isn't? Please be the harness How do i tell and go about checking the opti and/or harness ??? I need a reference or something please.

Edit: Barely ANY coolant spilled, is it something i could have disconnected while messing with this stuff today?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

You should be able to check that the harness is getting power to the opti. Your picture of the coil is correct. Make sure the copper ground strap is still attached to studs holding the coil to the cylinder head. Anyone know what all can cause the code he mentioned
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Very serious question about testing the harness with a probe tester, because i don't know electronics at all... with the harness unplugged and the key on the run position i should get feedback or not if the harness is bad correct? Probe works fine but when i did this nothing, so... ?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Very serious question about testing the harness with a probe tester, because i don't know electronics at all... with the harness unplugged and the key on the run position i should get feedback or not if the harness is bad correct? Probe works fine but when i did this nothing, so... ?
Alright night crew, let's get this ^^^ started. Did i go about this right or no? Don't want to order a new harness if that isn't the fix and don't want to drag it to a shop, actually i don't want to spend any money But the $25 harness would be alright.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Post number 2, riceburner asked you if you have fuel and spark. You haven't answered.

Did you pull a plug wire and confirm spark while cranking?

If you have no spark, start working backwards. Is there spark coming out of the ignition coil? No? Move onto what feeds power to the ignition system.

How's your fuel pressure? When you key to on, does the pump prime? Do you smell fuel?

You gotta confirm all these steps FIRST, then move on.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Post number 2, riceburner asked you if you have fuel and spark. You haven't answered.

Did you pull a plug wire and confirm spark while cranking?

If you have no spark, start working backwards. Is there spark coming out of the ignition coil? No? Move onto what feeds power to the ignition system.

How's your fuel pressure? When you key to on, does the pump prime? Do you smell fuel?

You gotta confirm all these steps FIRST, then move on.
Alright i'll get to these tomorrow, thanks for the reply. The pump does prime but i'll need to pull plugs tomorrow too.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
i'll need to pull plugs tomorrow too.
NO. You don't need to pull the spark plugs out. Pull a plug WIRE off a plug. Plug in a dummy/spare/old spark plug. Lay it on some piece of metal. Crank & watch.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
NO. You don't need to pull the spark plugs out. Pull a plug WIRE off a plug. Plug in a dummy/spare/old spark plug. Lay it on some piece of metal. Crank & watch.
I promise plug wire is what i meant, the plugs are a bitch i pay pep poys for that but thanks for the detail that did help.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LOL that's alright. I just don't want you spending time on the advanced diagnostics until you've done the basic steps & tests first.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Update, had a good friend of mine come over who knows his ****, builds these cars & mainly 30's 40's and 50 year make models for fun. Laughs at me because i say my 97 is old. Anywayyyy, there is no spark i have fuel. We got the car in the air alittle, he took a look at some things and said with the code it's throwing and what he saw start with the crank sensor. Thoughts? Maybe my car with be running tomorrow?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

First, check the power source for the ignition (fuses). Then re-plug all the plugs for the ignition and optispark. Having failed with all that, swap in a new ignition control module.

Beyond that, maybe it's the VATS system.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Fuses check out. I have my buddy coming back over today. Security light isn't on and wasn't throwing any codes related to the VATS. Those two things just ruled it out for me, but maybe i'm missing something? I guess next is the ignition control.

EDIT: i'm dumb, the light IS ON when it's running but it's been on for months. It isn't on when trying to start it or afterwords. Thought it would be light for 2 or 3 minutes afterwords if the vats was preventing it from starting?

Quick Reply: Not my day, car wont start after disconnecting battery & TB bypass ?