Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air ride vs full suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air ride vs full suspension

So one of my friends didn't research this topic so im doing it for him. He is looking at either getting a Kit from air ride technologies or hotchkis tvs full suspension. He drives a 67 chevelle and wants performance and drivebility.

Correct me if im wrong, but my understanding is that air bags wont give you the performance handling that a full suspension set-up with coil overs would. Like i said im new aswell to suspension world so my facts may be way off in left field...
Thank you to all those that answer.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to have your friend check out Pro-Touring.com or Lateral-g.net. They have lots of A-body cars over there that handle quite well. I've never driven a car that had air-bags, but as far as handling goes, the fastest cars on those sites I mentioned all have coil-over type suspensions. Ride Tech has cars there to but they aren't as fast. IMO, air-bags are for show or cruising. If air-bags were the wave of the future (like Ride Tech wants you to believe) then there suspensions would be on alot more faster cars. Just my opinion...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
You may want to have your friend check out Pro-Touring.com or Lateral-g.net. They have lots of A-body cars over there that handle quite well. I've never driven a car that had air-bags, but as far as handling goes, the fastest cars on those sites I mentioned all have coil-over type suspensions. Ride Tech has cars there to but they aren't as fast. IMO, air-bags are for show or cruising. If air-bags were the wave of the future (like Ride Tech wants you to believe) then there suspensions would be on alot more faster cars. Just my opinion...
thanks for the input chrisRZ28
Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just because air bags are not on more cars doesn't mean that they don't or can't handle good. quite the opposite, a properly set up air bag system can handle just as good or better than "conventional" suspension setups.

the main reason air bags aren't on more cars? it's the same reason GM didn't put 12-bolts in f-bodies instead of these shitty 10-bolts: price.

it costs a lot more for an air bag system & proper setup than it does for a standard suspension setup, so naturally, not as many people are going to opt for that setup.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
just because air bags are not on more cars doesn't mean that they don't or can't handle good. quite the opposite, a properly set up air bag system can handle just as good or better than "conventional" suspension setups.
I never said they can't handle. Some handle pretty decent but, everytime I've seen a suspension comparo between an air bagged car and a conventional suspension car (mostly in magazines where Ride Tech is 'paying/buying' for the 'article'), the conventional suspension car is almost always stock. It's never against an aftermarket spring/shock type suspension. Why is that? IMO, they are 'paying' for an ad in a national magazine and don't want their air bags compared to a less expensive and possibly better alternative. If air bags are that good, what are they afraid of? Not apples to apples IMO.

the main reason air bags aren't on more cars? it's the same reason GM didn't put 12-bolts in f-bodies instead of these shitty 10-bolts: price.
This is a good point. Another reason why you wouldn't want air bags.

it costs a lot more for an air bag system & proper setup than it does for a standard suspension setup, so naturally, not as many people are going to opt for that setup.
Plus the added weight of an entire system. If your goal is real performance, an air bag system just isn't an efficient way to get there. I've seen this argument debated on Frrax and Corner-Carvers, and the general consensus is that it's to difficult to dampen an air bag vs a spring efficiently. Plus weight and cost...not in the air bags favor. So at this point, it looks like we can agree to disagree.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1

Actually they put the 10 bolt in to save weight for CAFE reasons.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Hi guys...I work for RideTech and can help answer some of your questions...

First, addressing the handling of a 67 Chevelle...check out our 66:
http://www.ridetech.com/garage/1966-chevelle/
We beat on it HARD, and it's consistently one of the best-performing cars in our fleet. Here's another relevant link:
http://www.ridetech.com/info/street-challenge-archive/
where we took a stock-suspension Chevelle and our blue one and let some professional drivers put them through their paces. Some good reading there

And I agree; Pro-Touring and Lateral-G also have some great info. Post there (Pro-T is usually a little busier) and you'll get an equal amount of opinions of those who like air and those who don't, so don't think I'm suggesting it because I'm biased. There are already quite a few good compare/contrast threads there to check out too.

You're correct in that air suspension used to be too expensive to use for stock, although there are more vehicles out there with stock air than you'd guess, and more in the works. Constant design and manufacturing improvements are making it cheaper and better all the time. We're working on it . And if price is a sticking point for your friend, have him call our sales guys; there are several different setups and levels he could go with to be a little more budget friendly. The Black Series Shockwave might be his thing...http://www.ridetech.com/info/shock-series-overview/

If you want to see an Air Ride car vs a non-stock-suspension car, come to any GoodGuys autocross and watch us compete in the vendors class against DSE's cars, or whichever other manufacturers come up (if you come to one of these events, just come on up and ask, we'll usually let you jump in with the guys and feel the ride firsthand). Almost every weekend we're out somewhere proving our stuff against other cars...whether it's autocross or road course.

Here's a good article on the weight issue:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...r-ride-vs.-DSE
short version:
"Keep in mind that our baseline weight already included dearched leaf springs, lighter control arms, lowering springs, and high-performance shocks--so your weight may vary. The starting weight came in at 3,510 lbs with 2,010 lbs on the front axle and 1,490 lbs on the rear axle. After the install, we weighed the Camaro again and came up with a surprising result. The Air Ride system was not heavier, in fact, it knocked a lot of weight off the car. The results were 1,970 lbs on the front axle, 1,450 for the rear axle, and only 3,420 as a total for the whole car. The new exhaust system is a bit smaller, so of the 90 lbs saved, we figure 80 lbs of it was a direct result of the air bag suspension install."

I don't log in to LS1Tech much, I'm mainly just a browser in the Midwestern section, but feel free to post up on Lat-G, Pro-T, or our own forum at ridetech.com if there's any other questions we can answer for you

Quick Reply: Air ride vs full suspension