Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help removing front LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help removing front LCAs

I need to pull of my old front lcas to swap out k members and the vertical bolt won't. Budge I got the horizontal 1 out and got the nut off the vertical 1 but I can't get it to move anyone have any tips for removing this bolt I was going to heat it but don't want to burn up the bushing
Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

There is a chance its is seized in the sleeve of the bushing. Might need to cut it. Is it turning at all?

Is it possible to just remove the k-member with that control are still attached to it? Might be easier to work it out that way.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of suspension stuff is very hard to remove without air and impacts because it likely has never been off the car. Have you used a 3lb. sledge and a block of wood to try and hammer it out of there?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I could take it out as one unit I was just trying to avoid breaking loose the balljoint as for if gthe bolt spins the is know was to tell until it has been knocked loose a bit they have locks built unto the head of the bolt to keep them from spinning when removing the nut
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya makes me wish I had an air hammer sry for any miss typing using my phone computers hd crashed
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to picl up a sledge tomorrow all I was using now was a block of wood and just a hammer I even placed the wood on a jack and tryed to use the cars weight to knock it loose but it just lifted up the car so its in there probably just going to have to pull it out as one and go some were I can use air tools
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I just dealt with this same issue on my friend's car. The bolt was rusted to the sleeve inside of the bushing. We used a sledge. No luck. Jacked the car up by the bolt. Bolt did not budge. We ended up using a Sawzall and cutting the bolt head off above the K member and chopping the threads off below the sleeve. Pulled the A arm out that way. Tried to punch the remaining bolt out with it on the ground and ended up blowing the whole sleeve and bolt out of the bushing.

Good luck and don't be surprised if you will need to install new bushings. The new parts got a liberal coating of grease to prevent this from happening again.

Quick Reply: help removing front LCAs