Sponsored by:

Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Install

I have been reading a lot of ordered posts about the LS7 Clutch and how it was not adrag strip worthy setup. Has this changed over the years? Most of the posts I am reading are from the 2006-2008 time frames. My car is mainly a street driven car, but I will won't to hit the track from time to time and some spirited driving on the street.

I installed mine this week and doing the break in miles...which I am still not 100% sure what the best way is. I have 100 miles of stop and go traffic and about 40 miles of highway cruising. I did smell some clutch, but I am thinking that this is normal.

Anyone got comments or thoughts on anything?

Micah
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wrong forum..
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Wrong forum indeed BUT...

Some people have had luck with LS7s but if you're looking for a decent amount of power and plan on putting a hurtin on your car from time to time, just spend the money for a Monster or something. LS7s seem to be popular for mild H/C cars but once you start venturing into more cubes or FI, you're better off spending a little more up front and going with a beefy aftermarket unit.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am running this in my 2003 ZO6 (LS6), so I assumed I had the right place, but appreciate the comment and maybe one of the mods will move me. I am just running some LTs and a CAM. Just getting so many different recommendations on the proper break in. I just want to make sure it is properly broken in. I will just continue to baby it until it gets some miles on it.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Your clutch should be fine in your car. Lighter weight car and mild mods are a good combo for the LS7.

You don't want to kick the crap of it for about 500 or so miles. Interstate miles don't count, take it for about 500 miles of in city driving with a lot of shifting. You can glaze the pressure plate and flywheel if you do a lot of high RPM shifting and powershifts before you get the clutch broken in. Then it will be slipping like a fat guy on ice.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Adam86
Your clutch should be fine in your car. Lighter weight car and mild mods are a good combo for the LS7.

You don't want to kick the crap of it for about 500 or so miles. Interstate miles don't count, take it for about 500 miles of in city driving with a lot of shifting. You can glaze the pressure plate and flywheel if you do a lot of high RPM shifting and powershifts before you get the clutch broken in. Then it will be slipping like a fat guy on ice.
Here in Hawaii that is pretty much most of the driving here. I smelled it a couple of times last night, but I assume that is just it burning itself in. I will just continue to baby the setup. My gas mileage is difinitely better right now with me keeping the go go pedal out of the floor.