General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P/S window motor problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S window motor problem...

A while back I installed an Autotrix window kit for my passenger side window motor. It worked fine although the motor was too far gone and it didn't fix the problem. Well, the motor finally went out on me the other day so I bought a replacement motor. I plugged the new motor in before installing it completely and found out that it will go down but not up. When I press either switch (D/S or P/S) I can hear the relays clicking when I press the swtich both down and up....however the motor will only turn when I press the switch down. I'm lost at this point. At first I thought maybe it was one of the switches but they both activate the relay when I press up, it's just that the motor won't spin. When I press the switch down the relay is also activated and the motor spins just fine. This is without the motor even being installed also so there is no load on it. Any suggestions? I don't have A/C and it's hot down here in GA so I need my windows to work....lol...
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i would throw a multi meter on it to see it it is getting power.......there is a fuse on the power wire with kit......is that good?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a common issue with rebuilt motors. My personal experience has been that 1 in 2 are duds out of the box.

The Dorman design should make life much happier for you.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Just happend to me today replaced with doorman an same thing wont go down but goes up some one has to know.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are almost all over ten years old, and were still replacing the motors and leaving junk regulators in the car? Cmon people, really? Grease monkey if you want to be absolutely sure do an amperage test on the motor. If the amps spike high, you have mechanical resistance. If amps are very low then there is a bad connection or wiring issue. I'll bet dollars to donuts you put in a new motor/regulator assembly with the correct hardware and you'll be fine. Sometimes the window sash can come apart, but that'll cause everything to be loose and make noise, not stop working.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Yup I left the regulator in there I know I shouldn't have. But I think it's wiring related because they did a messy job it clicks when you hit down an does nothing but if you go up no click an you hear motor moving. Someone help us out. So you think it is the regulator?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

When an F body comes in to my work with a power window issue I always get pricing on a regulator kit (always comes with the motor at the dealer). Just a motor may fix it for a while, but you'll burn the new motor up I guarantee it. And even at that, the motor by itself is such a bitch to replace. I'm tellin ya, get an OEM or Dorman regulator with motor, install, and enjoy. I recommend getting the correct rivets from the dealer, but some use nuts and bolts with no problems. While your in there though check for any other loose or damaged door components.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 99nbmbird650
Just happend to me today replaced with doorman an same thing wont go down but goes up some one has to know.
It may not be the motor. Is this on the driver's side? If so, you should try bypassing the express down module to isolate the motor from that circuitry. The clicking is the express down module. When the motor is not running, you'll hear it. Normally, when the motor is running, you can't hear the click over the motor noise.

Also check the plug on the motor. IMO - its a crummy design and very easy to not get it on the motor all the way.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

No it's passenger an it doesn't click when you hit up an motor works. I think it's the autotrix kit the wiring. Is there a wiring diagram to the switch I think that's where my fault is but who knows.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

i'm pretty sure my regulator is not the problem....i plug the motor up before reinstalling it and thats when i found the problem....it might just be a bad motor....i haven't been able to do anything with it lately though because i've been very busy with work and other problmes with my car...but i'll post up what i find out....
Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

i posted a wiring diagram on page 2. I think it's the 1 u want :/ & try the motor with out the regulator my first 2 motor wuld not go up once instaled only downe.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html
Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
i'm pretty sure my regulator is not the problem....i plug the motor up before reinstalling it and thats when i found the problem....it might just be a bad motor....i haven't been able to do anything with it lately though because i've been very busy with work and other problmes with my car...but i'll post up what i find out....
The regulator is what kills the motor. Replace them both at the same time or the new motor is gonna take a **** again. And seeing as how you don't have a lot of time to spend with it, I wouldn't waste the time and effort doing it twice. Replacing the regulator with the motor is easier than just replacing the motor anyways.