Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt 3ch into my 4ch stock car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolt 3ch into my 4ch stock car

I'm getting a 12 bolt that has a 3ch setup and my car is factory 4ch. Is it possible I can hook it up and have ABS still work? Or will both ABS and TCS be non functional? If not, what would be required to make it a complete 4ch rear?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Well at first I could not find much with a search but Google has helped... Looks like I need axles with the reluctor rings on the end. Is it possible to "add" reluctor rings to the axles or would I need to buy new ones? I see people talking about pressing rings onto other 10 bolt axles, but what about pressing them onto a 3ch Moser 12 bolt axle?

Last edited by HoLLo; 06-28-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I'm getting a 12 bolt that has a 3ch setup and my car is factory 4ch. Is it possible I can hook it up and have ABS still work? Or will both ABS and TCS be non functional? If not, what would be required to make it a complete 4ch rear?
I ran into this situation myself, so this is no big deal.

Long story short I bought a 3 channel Moser for my NON ABS (non working lol) '94 Camaro 383, and once I was done with the car and willing to move on I kept the rear. The issue was the 2002 T/A was a 4 Channel and most certainly worked and I wanted to retain the ABS function.

Talked with Moser and all I needed to do was have the axels machined and fitted with a ABS exciter ring which I just took the axles out, pressed out the bearings and sent it to them. Between shipping and parts it was like 60$ and put the LS1 backing plates on and had the bearings re pressed and used the 10 bolt dust cover.

Worked perfect from there!

Also to mention since my ABS did not work my rear is not drilled for a 3 Channel so I would need to have to drill it to make it work. You would need a pipe thread or even use the stock Sensor to keep the hole blocked.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

So there's no way to press on the rings without sending them to Moser to machine them to fit, or buy 4ch axles and sell these?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would speak to them to get the specs OR have them mail you rings for those axles and then go local for the machining and let them know what your looking for. I am not a machinist and I do not know how much of a gap is needed between the axle flange and the exciter.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

You will need to have your axles machined to accept the 4ch reluctor rings, and use your existing brake backing plates to mount the sensors. If down time is a problem you could go the route you mentioned, buy new already machined axles and sell your current ones after the swap.