Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

96 Sunfire, sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 Sunfire, sunroof issues

I have a 96 Sunfire GT on it's second sunroof assembly. Both have had the same exact issue. When i open it, both sides will vent properly, but when i try to open it further, the driver side operates normally, but the passenger side doesn't move. The glass then matchboxes inside the roof, and gets stuck, forcing me to leave it either vented or closed. When i got the second assembly (junkyard find, last summer, glass+motor+frame), it operated totally normally through the summer. Didn't drive it much over winter (and sure as hell didn't use the sunroof lol) then i tried opening it this spring when i got back from school and it's giving me the same hassle. Any and all ideas welcome.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sounds more like a mechanical issue than an electrical one.

Not trying to discourage you but you do realize that this is an LS1 site and that the Sunfire never came with an LS engine nor did any F-body, Corvette, or GTO come with a power sunroof. I'm just saying that the expertise here might be limited for this particular problem. I'm afraid I don't even have a schematic that might help you out.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I would agree that it sounds more mechanical. However, then i'm completely stumped. Tried two different motors and two different assemblies. Interchanged both assemblies with both motors to get the same result.

Yes i do realize this is an LS1 site, however, i figured that the average forumer here would be more knowledgeable in general than someone on, say, a J-body forum. I'm just trying to exhaust all my options when it comes to forums. I want to get this sunroof working properly so i can sell the car.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm grasping here but is it possible that something in the roof that is not part of the assembly you replaced could be interfering?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

The glass clears the roof and all. As far as i can tell, nothing interferes. I also haven't looked at it in a while. I'll drop the headliner tonight and check it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Could the tracks be warped somehow so that it causes binding?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what I would suggest before tearing it all apart is to find a schematic or some exploded view of the entire assembly

I manage a shop that replaces sunroofs, door windows, etc and its not uncommon for someone to purchase an entire assembly, take the original out, and replace it... including whatever was causing the original problem. It could be something as simple as a piece of the headliner or a wire has come loose from the loom and binds the wheels going along the track.

Also look for wear marks where a screw or bolt should be but is not - if the distance between the tracks varies even slightly from front to rear, it will cause the entire assembly to get stuck