PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recap... Fine tuning my tuner's mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Recap... Fine tuning my tuner's mistake...

I got the VE dialed in, -4 to 5 to all of the cells so I decided to move on to dialing in my MAF because when I enabled my MAF back on my LTFTs were whack again, +9s to +15s all over the place.

I stayed up til 3 am last night looking for all the configs/spreadsheet.

One, the MAF spreadsheet that was posted eons ago, is gone... can't find it here online...

Two, all the configs and histograms that are related to tuning the MAF most of them if not all don't work with 2.23 beta.

Any help would really great right meow. Thank you.

Here is my unfinished tune and my last log with the MAF enabled. Oh yes, please criticize if you must and show me the ways of tuning, I'm still a newb at this.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
222_226 113LSA_VEstreettune.hpt (458.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: hpl
afterVEtune.hpl (92.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going lean (positive trims) when enabling the MAF is common, so just create an AFR histogram but plot it against the MAF airflow vs. output frequency table. If you're using a wideband you can use the same user defined PID here as you do for the VE. Trims will work for part throttle, but you'll be guessing in the PE areas and that's a bad idea. Since you're 9-15% off across the board I would go ahead and multiply the whole MAF table by 1.12 or so to save you a step. Then drive, log, edit.... rinse and repeat. If you're planning on running the MAF it will be the main driver of AFR anyway.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by ramairJP
Going lean (positive trims) when enabling the MAF is common, so just create an AFR histogram but plot it against the MAF airflow vs. output frequency table. If you're using a wideband you can use the same user defined PID here as you do for the VE. Trims will work for part throttle, but you'll be guessing in the PE areas and that's a bad idea. Since you're 9-15% off across the board I would go ahead and multiply the whole MAF table by 1.12 or so to save you a step. Then drive, log, edit.... rinse and repeat. If you're planning on running the MAF it will be the main driver of AFR anyway.
I figured it would stay lean because of the commanded stoich.

Is there a tutorial on how to set up custom histogram? I had figured out how to load up the histograms but making my own is still uncharted to me.

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can make my own histogram.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Trunion King

Since you're 9-15% off across the board I would go ahead and multiply the whole MAF table by 1.12 or so to save you a step. Then drive, log, edit.... rinse and repeat. If you're planning on running the MAF it will be the main driver of AFR anyway.
Just for curiosity, where and how did you come up with the 1.12 number?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Trunion King

Reading through SD VE and MAF tuning guide by Jeff Anderson and txhorn281, dialing maf post, one didn't say to set the MAF freq to 0 to fail and one does.

Which one should I follow?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

You said your VE was nailed down in SD. To do this you need to fail the MAF (enabling codes 101 - 103 so make sure these fail on the first error), put it OL, and zero out all of the adders except PE (DFCO, COT...). Tune VE and then you can turn on the MAF to set the output vs. freq curve. By your OP it sounded like you were here.

In the scanner all you need to do is click the "configure histogram" button in the histogram window. It's at the top right next to #12. Select your PID or sensor and select a table to plot it on. WB AFR error onto a MAF table is the way to go here. I suggested adding 12% to the whole MAF table in the tune because you said the trims went to 9-15% when the MAF was turned back on. That early change will at least get you close so you can start fine tuning in the MAF table. Right or wrong I always add to my VE/MAF tables when starting a tune on a car and then cut it back based on the wideband. I also leave PE pretty rich early on and then put it where I want it once VE/MAF are tuned in. Better safe than running 14:1 @ WOT on a first cut.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Trunion King

You said your VE was nailed down in SD. To do this you need to fail the MAF (enabling codes 101 - 103 so make sure these fail on the first error), put it OL, and zero out all of the adders except PE (DFCO, COT...). Tune VE and then you can turn on the MAF to set the output vs. freq curve. By your OP it sounded like you were here.
Sorry for the bit of confusion. Yes, I am at this point. I just wanted to make sure I got everything, all my nuts and bolts in place so to speak.

In the scanner all you need to do is click the "configure histogram" button in the histogram window. It's at the top right next to #12. Select your PID or sensor and select a table to plot it on. WB AFR error onto a MAF table is the way to go here. I suggested adding 12% to the whole MAF table in the tune because you said the trims went to 9-15% when the MAF was turned back on. That early change will at least get you close so you can start fine tuning in the MAF table. Right or wrong I always add to my VE/MAF tables when starting a tune on a car and then cut it back based on the wideband. I also leave PE pretty rich early on and then put it where I want it once VE/MAF are tuned in. Better safe than running 14:1 @ WOT on a first cut
Cool. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Trunion King

Progress!!! I got everything dialed in I think, MAF and VE. I put everything back to normal after that, did my cruise/part throttle and idle scan and my LTFT are in negative side.

One thing that is kinda bothering me though, from 3500K to 4K Hz I'm getting -12.5% LTFTs. Is this okay?

Can I lean this out by scaling back the MAF .1-.2 from 3.5K- 4K Hz?

My idle is at around -8.5% LTFTs. Is this good?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you set up your MAF histogram error you will populate the chart data to see what part of the MAF table to adjust and by how much. Idealy you want to get things within 2%. Jeff Andersons guide is a good start and works for the VE but he didn't finish the MAF tuning info and part of it is incorrect. I put this together to help get things setup. You need to put it in MAF only by setting the Dynamic air high to 0. You don't want to just copy and paste into the MAF table it should be a fairly smooth curve. Look at your stock MAF in graph form and you will see what I mean. Using the data that you log look at the trends and adjust it in sections. Make sure your MAF is cleaned before you start for best results.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

holy crap...thank God i have a Fast XFi system.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by flame
If you set up your MAF histogram error you will populate the chart data to see what part of the MAF table to adjust and by how much. Idealy you want to get things within 2%. Jeff Andersons guide is a good start and works for the VE but he didn't finish the MAF tuning info and part of it is incorrect. I put this together to help get things setup. You need to put it in MAF only by setting the Dynamic air high to 0. You don't want to just copy and paste into the MAF table it should be a fairly smooth curve. Look at your stock MAF in graph form and you will see what I mean. Using the data that you log look at the trends and adjust it in sections. Make sure your MAF is cleaned before you start for best results.
That exactly what I followed... Jeff's guide to tune VE and MAF.

BTW, as I was reading at your info... The pids that you offer to use... Can I still use this as I didn't use those (a/c switch- egr) to wire my wideband... I have a HPT PRO.

Can I still use any of the 5V source or use a RAW Voltage Aux?

Last edited by bene; 07-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=121096

Follow the post by ectune in the thread above and you should be able to dial your maf to within 1% or less in just a few hours. You will have to tune the PE cells yourself but this should get you dialed in up to 6600 which is your normal driving anyway.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Trunion King

I tried to do ECtune's way but I couldn't pull the MAF STFT histogram. Anywho, I'm sure I dialed in my MAF pretty good.

I'm getting 0s and 1s with just MAF during the tuning.

One of my question is when I did my WOTs with just MAF and PE. I commanded it to go 12.9 all the way across and it did just that however when VE and LTFTs were enabled it went to 12.6s to 12.8s. What is going on here?

I was also getting .7-.9 knock retard when just the MAF and PE on but it didn't show up when VE and LTFTs were enabled @ 3.9K to 4.8K rpm. Can any of gurus shed me some light here?

This is got me scratching my head.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your fuel trims are adding fuel when you go into PE then they are added to the PE amount. If you are getting knock when it is leaner then you either need to dial the timing back or give it more fuel.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by flame
If your fuel trims are adding fuel when you go into PE then they are added to the PE amount. If you are getting knock when it is leaner then you either need to dial the timing back or give it more fuel.
Dude, bro... Thanks.

I tried to do your little formula and I came up with this... I tried to make it work for me w/ my EIO but I'm not sure it's correct...

I have DL'd a log w/ my MAF tuning... and logged/DL'd the lambda MAF...
Attached Files
MAF Lambda.hpl (166.4 KB, 303 views)
MAF only.hpl (309.1 KB, 87 views)

Quick Reply: Recap... Fine tuning my tuner's mistake...