Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I run any risk removing the front sway bar and does it help at the strip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I run any risk removing the front sway bar and does it help at the strip?

I was thinking of removing the front sway bar to take some weight off the front end, but I was wondering if its going to make any difference at the track whatsover? Also, if I was to leave it off all the time, will I run a risk driving it around town or sometimes on the highway? I dont do any high speed corning, road racing, etc. The only time I speed in it is when the road is straight. If I come to a curve in the road, I usually slow it down because I run race wheels and tires. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

The sway bar itself only weighs like 5 pounds. Removing it for the track is good because it will give you better weight transfer by letting your front end rise more off the launch. Driving around normally, just don't play race car around hard turns and don't make any crazy maneuvers. You should be fine otherwise I've had mine off for forever.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Will removing it make any difference on the slips? Are you sure its only 5 lbs? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the front sway bar is hollow. I'd guess it weighs more than 5lbs too. There are other things you can remove before that, such as the spare tire and jack, and the back seats.

[Edit]: According to the "Weight Reduction List" the front sway and brackets weigh 14 lbs. I still think other things can go first...
Old 03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Ive removed the jack and spare tire, but Im not really looking to gutting the car, so removal of the back seats isnt in mind.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Weight reduction list...where can I find that at?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

id leave it ya say you only accelrate in a straight line but what if ya have so swerve to miss a deer or whatever then your fucked without it
Old 03-01-2004, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
but what if ya have so swerve to miss a deer or whatever then your fucked without it
True...but I doubt that there are going to be any deer on the drag strip. LOL I dont drive the car that much and there arent any deer around here, so I dont have to worry about it anyway.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so I dont have to worry about it anyway
You're far more likely to have to swerve to miss some idiot driving down the road than a wild animal. Either way, you're just setting yourself up for a potentially bad situation. The weight savings are going to be seriously negligible. The only real advantage is getting the additional weight transfer that the front swaybar resists when connected. The safest way to get that is to just disconnect one of the end links when you get to the track, then bolt it back up before you head home. You keep your swaybar and the maneuverability it provides, and still get the benefits on the strip with minimal fuss (Really, after doing it a couple times, you'll be connecting and disconnecting that end link in just a couple minutes, if not less, and you only have to disconnect one, not both)

Without a front swaybar to control body roll, if you get that car even a little bit sideways, it's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get it back under control. I've seen cars on the dragstrip itself that have gotten sideways and literally fishtailed half a dozen times before getting it back under control, and on several of those cars I knew for fact they weren't running a front sway, and the way the others were rolling back and forth it looked pretty obvious they weren't as well. It's bad enough having that happen on the track. Risking it on the highway or side roads, and you're just asking for trouble.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

well what about a blowout or a stray turtle...