Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac ORYP Installed - Very Happy!

Old 02-28-2004, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mac ORYP Installed - Very Happy!

I am so impressed with the performance gain. The motor winds so fast now. Sound is strong, but not droning. Acceleration is substantially improved. I knew that my cam (.571 lift) was desperate to breathe! I'm still running the stock manfolds, but BBK 1 3/4 Shorty's are next on the list (car is lowered, I dont want long tubes).

Overall product is impressive. Tubing is very heavy gauge. Only one minor complaint... no matter what I did, the y-pipe was slightly off to the passenger side, and I could only get one of the hangar bolts started. I even tried persuading it with my feet as I gripped my sub frame connector... but that tubing is very strong. But in the end everything installed high and tight. No contact with body.

I call the Mac Y-pipe an awesome success.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Have you thought about mac headers too instead of bbk's?
Old 02-28-2004, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Nice. I'd go with Macs over BBKs also.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Agreed, and I did think about 'em, but was told the drone is deadly. I drive my car everyday... if it was race only I wouldnt hesitate, actually I'd go LT's. But I'm chasing that delicate balance of real world vs. speed.

What do you think? Should I be concerned with drone probs with MAC 3/4 length headers?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that you already have the MAC y-pipe, I'd say go with your original plan, since the BBK's should bolt right up to that fancy y-pipe. If you are willing, you can buy MAC mid-length headers and the y-pipe, or buy just the headers and take it to a exhaust shop and have the y-pipe modified to fit the mid headers. If the drone is bad, buy some Bullet mufflers and have them welded in. They are like $40 each and about the same I'd guess to have them welded in. You will see 5-15rwhp with the mids over the BBK's. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Now that you already have the MAC y-pipe, I'd say go with your original plan, since the BBK's should bolt right up to that fancy y-pipe. If you are willing, you can buy MAC mid-length headers and the y-pipe, or buy just the headers and take it to a exhaust shop and have the y-pipe modified to fit the mid headers. If the drone is bad, buy some Bullet mufflers and have them welded in. They are like $40 each and about the same I'd guess to have them welded in. You will see 5-15rwhp with the mids over the BBK's. Just some food for thought.
HP is good food And that is substantial gain. Question... wont the bullet mufflers defeat or minimize the gains?
Old 02-28-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bullet muffers are straight though, not like the Flowmaster chambered types. They will take away very little if any power.

Search this Thread