Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pretty Stock V just hit some WILD dyno numbers

Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty Stock V just hit some WILD dyno numbers

Car -

2004 V
100k mi, nearly on the nose

Power related mods:
K&N FIPK
Brand new NGK TR55 plugs
Brand new MSD 8.5mm wires
LS7 Clutch and Flywheel

Non-Power related mods:
DSS/Hendrix Race Axles
Gen 4 Diff
SpecterWerks Cradle Bushings
H&R Springs w/MM spacers
Katech Short Throw Shifter
Creative Steel Engine Mounts
Creative Steel Trans Mount
Creative Steel Diff Block
Creative Steel Diff Mount
Muffler Delete
160 degree thermostat
Big-*** stereo

So here's the story. I took the car into Force Fed Performance in Sacramento. Bill and Kyle installed some stuff (FIPK, plugs, etc) and then put it on the dyno. FRiCK was there with me, as he came to hang out and witness. We didn't know each other before then. GuLuMoney came by also, but couldn't stay for the dyno session. (Great to meet you both!)

Bill didn't do a dyno run prior to the intake, plugs, wires. Didn't seem important at the time. After installing them, he didn't do a full dyno run immediately, only blipped the throttle around to see that the map already had some weird points in it down low. So the first run was only to about 4k or so. Then, he cleaned up the issue that he saw immediately and gave it a run all the way to the top. It did 356.3rwhp and 352rwtq, which was actually great and I was already cool with it. He said that this was without him really addressing the top of the graph though, where the power is. (FRiCK, you understand a ton more about this stuff than I do. If I'm wrong on anything, PLEASE jump in).

After four runs or so, he had one that was really climbing well above the base and continuing to open up. However, he shut it down around 4 again. I was like, "NO! I want that one!" FRiCK started talking with him, and Bill told FRiCK that this was only done with timing. The car loved the timing, and now he was just going to add fuel to see what happened. He did so, and we got the graph you have here. 384.3rwhp and right at 375rwtq. We all flipped out. FRiCK asked about the correction factor immediately, so Bill pulled up the initial graph and showed that he was using the same correction factor of 1.150 (if I remember correctly...) on the first pull as on the rest. He went through and showed us. FRiCK said, "Bill, run it again. Now. Seriously. I'm not believing this." So he did, with only about 45 seconds between runs (maybe 60). It did about 4 less rwtq but 0.1 MORE rwhp. Crazy. And the AFR stayed very nice the whole way through. I was in shock. FRiCK was REALLY in shock. He's been on the same dyno a good bit before. Bill actually said, "You know, this is awesome, but you're going to post this and people are going to call bullshit all over the place. I don't mess with my numbers." Then, he proceeded to show us all the ways that he could alter the numbers, and that he had not. He then said, "This has to easily be the strongest stock LS6 that I've ever done." Take note note, he had 3-5 C5 Z06s there in the shop at the time. These guys work on these often.

FRiCK can jump in here and say anything and everything that he thinks. However, I want to say a few of my own: I am aware that these are high. I ask that, before you quickly shirk off all this, you 1) realize that I too get this, and 2) consider that it's a fact that some cars ARE stronger than the average, and others are weaker.

In other words, this could happen to anyone. Doesn't make them naive. I'm also REALLY glad that FRiCK was there to witness it, especially being a forum member, extremely knowledgeable, and having had his car on that dyno numerous times. It's undeniable that the car got a 28HP jump out of the tune.

With all that said, check out the graph and let's chat! Because I'm stoked!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many runs did you get this same result?

You bet call bull.. not on a stock engine. GO race another stocker... your not going to blow his doors off...
Gotta ask yourself.. why are you correcting SAE of 1.15 (15%) when your in sacramento which is dead sea level. that seems really high. maybe 1.05 with humidity and hot weather...
Im 3300ft up and sometimes see DA of 5000... and correction factor 1.13-1.14 is shown...
It sure is exciting im sure to whack out huge numbers..
I do that for kicks doing a run in 2nd gear .

My bet is the dyno is on its way out. unlikely more like just a random thing. It happens.
Its an expensive calibrated piece of equipment many shops seem to ignore maintenance and calibration.
I ALWAYS do 3-5 runs and take the average... eliminates this type of stuff...

How many runs did you get this same result? (my guess is this is the only one)

why do I always seem like the party pooper...
(sorry)

and for your 2) consider that it's a fact that some cars ARE stronger than the average, and others are weaker.? yea, not that rediculous when the masses are quite a bit less...(we are talkin like 50 bHP here..) LS7 Clutch ... cant see that massive curve adjustment with the rotational mass...

Loved timing? what are we talkin?

Last edited by vmapper; 06-29-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vmapper

You bet call bull.. not on a stock engine. GO race another stocker... your not going to blow his doors off...
Gotta ask yourself.. why are you correcting SAE of 1.15 (15%) when your in sacramento which is dead sea level. that seems really high. maybe 1.05 with humidity and hot weather...
Im 3300ft up and sometimes see DA of 5000... and correction factor 1.13-1.14 is shown...
It sure is exciting im sure to whack out huge numbers..
I do that for kicks doing a run in 2nd gear .

My bet is the dyno is on its way out. or just a random thing.
Its an expensive calibrated piece of equipment many shops seem to ignore maintenance and calibration.
I ALWAYS do 3-5 runs and take the average... eliminates this type of stuff...

why do I always seem like the party pooper...
(sorry)
No worries about being a party pooper, man. I'll let FRiCK address the correction factor. I may have it wrong. If I don't, I don't know what any justification would be. I am ignorant on this.

We got the same result 2 times in a row. I had to leave, as I had a client call me from San Fran saying that he needed me to come down for a meeting. I left straight from FFP and met with that guy until 4am. Anyway, I had to go.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

You keep modifying' your post!

I agree on my #2. If it's truly 50HP difference, that's not just because some MIT grad built it. The one undeniable thing is that it got 28HP out of the tune. Is that normal?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or he purchased a modded V that he was not aware of... Regardless congrats on your dyno queen...
Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Only mod I wouldn't be able to see would be a cam, and I seriously doubt that. Doesn't sound like FRiCKs at all. Oh, and thanks for the congrats! I told him that I wasn't caring about power now, because the car needs so many other things to be what I want it to be (KWs, feeling "tight", etc). Then I get numbers like this...
Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who's gonna call BS on my #'s? Since it's on the same dyno?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

FRiCK, am I wrong on anything, like the correction factor?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the numbers. The real test is when you see what you do to a car with similar mods. I am hoping that I dont have one of the "slower" cars and atleast get 330 to the wheels.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man. You know, it is what it is. The cool thing is that the car truly feels 30-40HP stronger to me than it did when I drove it to the shop yesterday. Plugs and wires and K&N contributed some I'm sure. It's far more rapid and angry, and yet, because of the engine mounts (I had one that was totally busted), the cradle bushings, trans mount and such really made the car feel a ton tighter too. Right now, it's getting some Bridgestone RE-11s put on. I've had those before. AMAZING tire. Can't wait. They'll likely be as big of a difference as anything else.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Its actully not to high I made 365 just exhaust and tune ls6 really conservative tune. My buddy with a ls2 made 385 headers exhaust stock ecu no tune. But his car is Canadian so i think the ecu might be set a little different. Also your numbers are higher due mostely to ls7 clutch and flywheel. You simply loose less power in the transfer from
Motor to wheels. Also we tried the k&n filter ran it back to back. Lost 2hp so might want to ditch that filter
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Take it to the track, where it counts. And I'm not a party pooper
Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Take it to the track, where it counts. And I'm not a party pooper
Congrats on the numbers, but I'm with Stageup. The only way to really know if its faster is to take it to the track. Dyno's are only tuning tools, nothing more. No two are the same so it is impossible to compare one vehicle's numbers to another. Sorry for being Debby the Downer!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Factory freak? lol Mine made 341RWHP with just intake and a magnaflow catback.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

No worries guys! There's no way to down me on this. I got good power out of the tuning fee. That's the main thing!

As far as the track, yes, I need to go. I really don't care much for straight line stuff. I get no thrill from it, and only bad things can happen. I AM taking it to Infineon and Thunder Hill in the next 6 weeks, but that kind of tracking has more variable in the driver (which is why I prefer it). Still, it's worth a run or two. Here's a vid of the last time that I was on the 1/4 to help you understand why I don't get too excited about it! (no limited slip at the time, and it rained the day before... and I was an idiot and on 20s!) Has a supercharger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVE_ruyQnM
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Did you actually clip the wall or was it just that close? lol
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

By the grace of God (really) it just looks like it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

You got so lucky! I could have sworn u tagged it! Glad u didn't though! Sure it would have been an expensive fix on that car!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Ouch, walls hurt! Congrads on the numbers, all engines are different in different ways, as long as if feels good when you drive it, enjoy it!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow nice numbers man... wish I got that lucky with mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pretty Stock V just hit some WILD dyno numbers