Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun cat on end of Y-pipe, is it still effective?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Spun cat on end of Y-pipe, is it still effective?

I'm contemplating on getting a magnaflow #59920 3.5" in/out high flow cat and mounting it directly to the end of my 3.5" Y-pipe merger exit. I mainly want it to decrease the fuel smell, but will it still get hot enough to be effective mounted on the Y-merger exit. My reason for wanting to mount it there is so I won't lose any ground clearance, or damage the converter/s.
So has anybody done this with good results?

Thanks, Ron
Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,
you're right that cats rely on heat to bake the unburned fuel off like an oven. The brick will have to be red hot. You might be a little too far from the heat source to do this efficiently. But then again, looking at a passenger cat for the earlier model Fbods, it's pretty far downstream. But chevy moved them upstream into the tunnel for a reason and changed the style to PUP. There may be different style cats designed specifically for their thermal properties and location application. You could get a shop or tuner to "sniff" the emmisions before and after to check? Interesting idea. Sorry, not much help.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 06-30-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not worried about it being 100% effective, just as long as it can still do a good job reducing the fuel smell.
So the question still stands,has anybody tried this?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to do this on the end of my true duals, and use the cats as mufflers. Just never had enough free time to do it. Please post up your results.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not going to generate enough heat to work correctly, wasting your time if your looking to cut down the smell.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure if this helps...
I just read that the average converter needs to reach around 1300 degrees to "light" the exhaust gasses. It seems like your location could work. It would just take MUCH longer to heat up but probably would eventually. A coated or wrapped Y might aid in reducing heat loss, increasing the efficiency of your cat in a longer pipe length. Keep in mind, people have little power loss running 2 cats. I'm not sure if the restriction would be worth it if you double the CFM you're trying to push through it.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 07-07-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread