Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat-back or just muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat-back or just muffler?

Hello everybody I was looking for a cat-back system for my 99 T/A but then got the advice to just put a muffler and use the stock pipe. Whats the difference? would a cat-back system make a significant difference as opposed to just putting a muffler? Are there benefits to using a cat-back or wat?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cat back would maybe offer bigger piping?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zbinkley
Cat back would maybe offer bigger piping?
Thats what I would assume. But the bigger pipping would mean a bit more power right? so is it worth 200-300 extra dollars for the piping?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Well first this would be better in the Gen III section since you have an ls1 it appears. As for your question a search would definitely give you your answer, but it depends on what you are looking for. You will probably gain more from a full catback on an fbody over the stock setup as the piping is kinda small. Also gives you more room to grow as modding progresses. If you are just looking for cheap sound then just a muffler would be the way to go.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Oh wow my bad im new to the forum lol and you make a good point. Ill just stick with gettin a cat-back.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yes cat back. you are going through the trouble anyway. might as well get the full potential of a catback. mufflers will ONLY change sound. if you change only the muffler your exhaust will only flow as well as the most restrictive part...your cats.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes cat back. you are going through the trouble anyway. might as well get the full potential of a catback. mufflers will ONLY change sound. if you change only the muffler your exhaust will only flow as well as the most restrictive part...your cats.
But there really isn't anymore potential in the catback piping. Unless your pushing big power, the stock piping size is more than adequate. Also, a catback is just that...from the cats back. So even with a catback he would not be changing out the cats which like you said are the most restrictive part of the system.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id go with a catback but thats just my preference. might save you a little weight too

Quick Reply: Cat-back or just muffler?